Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: The Jig Is Up

Bill this is an ordinary fruit dehydrator. It was an old one given to me
by a friend a few years ago when he got a new one. I innately used it to
dry the paint on the model cars I built. I cut all the racks out of it
except the one at the very bottom for maximum room inside and modified
the lid so I can adjust the temp from 100 degrees to 140 depending on
what I am baking. I built an oven thermometer into the lid to check the
temps. The part or whatever you are working on is prepped and painted
and then it goes into the dehydrator to speed up the drying process.
This works especially good with enamel paint which takes much longer to
cure  completely through than lacquer.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AMC74HORNET@... wrote:

> Since it barely got over 20 degrees here today I spent the day in
the
> house. The first headlight door had baked in my dehydrator for 24
hours
> after being painted with flat black yesterday so I masked it off and
> scuffed it down and painted the silver. Picture this, it took 5
hours to
> scuff and mask and paint 1 headlight door!!! What a PIA to mask it
up
> just to paint the silver. The silver wheel color I chose from
Eastwood
> looks almost factory. It is now back in the dehydrator drying till
> tomorrow. I have to knock the edge off the silver where it meets the
> flat black with 1000# sandpaper and clean up  3 very small spots of
over
> spray and it will be ready for the semi-gloss clear coat. I should
have
> both of them done by sunday. Next week it will be the grills turn to
> have the silver done. I am not looking forward to doing that but
job. It
> may take a week or two plus. Anyhow the car goes to get the windows
> tinted a light smoke tomorrow. That should look nice with the orange
> body color.
> "Doc"

Hey Doc, could you kind of explain the use of the dehydrator for me?
I do know what a dehydrator is..it like dehydrates things..takes the
H20 out of things. Does it make the paint stick better? Get a
smoother coat of paint? Do you bake the part before you paint it?
AND! what kind of dehydrator do you use? Do you use the kind that
dehydrates fruits? Did you modify one? Just curious..Thanks
Bill Lewiston Id.

--- End Message ---