[BaadAssGremlins] Re: N.O.S. Grille....

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, BLDFW <bldfw@...> wrote:

> [...]
> > price wasnt way gone the heck up to a bazillin
> > dollar price range.
> > Will the later year grilles (74 and up) fit the
> > earlier year (70-
> > 73)??  I noticed a few cars in the posted photos
> > that are the 70 thru
> > 73 years with a 74 and up grille and they do look
> > sharp... My Gremlin
> > isnt going to be "an original".. Being young and dum
> > in my earlier
> > years I kind of did things that I shouldnt of..(but
> > we all do dum
> > things!) Like I swapped the 904 auto for a T-10, the
> > bucket seats are
> > from a Volvo, I painted all the interior trim and
> > door panels with
> > rattle can...YOU DONT HAVE TO TELL ME!! I KNOW...I
> > KNOW..
> > Being a new member here and just being a backyard
> > mechanic who enjoys
> > the nucklebusting and grease and grime and the
> > ocassional out burst
> > of filth (the 30 minute screw, takes ya 30 minutes
> > for one stinking
> > bolt!) I am not a full fledged mechanic who can pull
> > out my tube
> > bender and welder and fabricate what ever I need. I
> > really dont think
> > that there is or are alot of them kind of people
> > here..
> > In my opinion all of us here have somthing in
> > common...
> > Its a love for all A.M.C.'s. Or just cars and trucks
> > in general.
> > There is alot that I dont know and it kinda makes me
> > feel bad that I
> > cant help with whatever the question is.. I read
> > everything that I
> > get in my mail box. EVERYTHING!! I have gotten
> > hooked on J.L. cars
> > (thanks guys!) I do know where there is a couple of
> > Gremlins here but
> > the guy is kind of an ass when it comes to going out
> > and
> > just "looking" at parts so I am not sure just what
> > this guy has.. So
> > I am not much help in locating parts for people.
> > There was alot that
> > I wished that I could do to help everyone out here.
> > Maybe someday....
> > I did go and get my new tranny yesterday. 700 mile
> > round trip but
> > very, very  well worth it. It still has the original
> > paint on it and
> > the A.M.C. part tag is still attached to the
> > tranny!! And of course I
> > had to hit every darned Wally World and ToysRus
> > "looking" for J.L.
> > cars..(once again THANKS GUYS!) It was needless to
> > say a very long
> > day for me... Anyone can help me with the grille
> > thing I would
> > greatly appreciate it and if not?? I guess I will
> > sell it but I will
> > only sell it to someone here at this site. Bill
> > Lewiston Idaho
> >

> Well let me see here...My Gremlin is a 73 with the 258 inline 6. I
am keeping that motor. Not for fuel economy thats for sure the Holley
390 4 barrel is not a fuel efficient carb.(maybe if I put-put around)
But thats not what I am building it for) I have now the tranny for
it. It used to have the 904 originally and when I built the motor for
it, I couldnt keep an auto tranny in it. I went through 3 of em
before I found a T-10 at a wrecking yard not far from where I live.
It came with the bell housing and flywheel and an old worn out
clutch. The throw out fork was also included. I used to work in a
plating shop and the boss said that I could plate and polish anything
that I could fit in a tank. But that was my overtime!! I have the
clifford 4 barrel intake and clifford dual ex. headers. Those where
the very first thing I pulled off the car and polished and custom
chrome plated. The shock mounts have bee polished and plated. Every
nut and bolt has been plated. The fan and fan hub, alt. bracket, the
grill mounts, The plate that holds the wiper motor, the master
cylinder cover, There is so much that I cant remember. The car has
been in storage for the past 17 years. It broke down in Seattle and I
just put it in my Grandmothers shed. (I believe the cam went flat or
the valve springs went south I havent tore into it to find out..yet
and the reverse idler gear took a fat dump)I didnt go through the
tranny like I should of when I put it in the car..so now I am kind of
regretting that I didnt.  I just got it out and back home here in
Idaho a couple of months ago.
But I am off the subject here. PLANS!! AHH YES!! I used to have a 83
Eagle and I parted the poor thing out. I would like to use the power
steering off of the eagle, and the tilt steering. I would also like
to get rid of the front drum brakes and go with power disc. I was out
the other day looking at the car and for being not taken car of for
so long..its just the way it was when I put it into storage. I would
like to find some Gremlin buckets for it. The back half I havent even
thought of that yet. I remember I used to just buy 6x9 speakers and
just put them into boxes. The old school sony power amplifier and
equalizer is still in the same spot I left it in and I am probably
going to leave it there. I mounted it where the air cond. vents are
above the heater controls The motor is going to be the highlight of
the car, with all that shiny custom chrome, headers and 4 barrel, its
just as unique as the car is. I do have one rusty spot buts its not
very bad at all. The drivers rear wheel well has some body cancer,
but its not bad, its very fixable. The rubber strip that goes around
the front of the front bumper needs replaced, the drivers door needs
new bushings in the hinge, the grille..i wont go there. My fenders
are full of bondo and have a few dings and dents and the bondo is
cracking. At the price of fenders I am going to try to fix the ones
that I have.  The old carpet needs to come out and so do the Volvo
seats. No telling what is in the gas tank!! I would like to put a
twin grip in the rear end. The original cover on the rear has been
custom polished and plated as well as the old school traction bars. I
havent started it do to the fact that I just spent most of my money
on my "other" project. I have a 80 Chevy L.U.V 4X4 truck that has
taken most of my time lately. AND the garage is in total...mess..I
have L.U.V parts and eagle parts all kind of in one big organized
pile that has to be gone through and my bench is in need of repair. I
know when I start...I will be posting pics. As I get into this car I
KNOW that theres is going to be lots more!! Thanks for the interest!!
Bill Renshaw Lewiston Idaho