Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Next Project

I just sanded all the silver paint off one of the headlight doors. I
don't know how they painted these at the factory but It appeared to be
just black plastic with the silver detail. Not so there is some flat
black paint on it in spots apparently to touch up some silver over
spray. So my game plan has changed. I can't get all the paint out of all
the nooks and cranny's. I got as much off as possible. I will paint the
whole thing with Plasticote flat black lacquer primer. Then bake the
part in my dehydrator for a few days and then mask it up and paint the
silver and clear coat it. The headlight doors won't be so hard, it's the
grill that will be a big PIA. I could go the easy route and just paint
everything flat black like the 77 AMX but I like the silver look better.
And when did you ever see me take the easy way out? :-)~
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---
Do,
 Let me know how it comes out. I plann to sand the whole grille with 400# then paint the black the sand the areas to be painted silver with 600 and put 3 coats of silver with the sponge then clear the whole thing.
 Davis

AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Davis I wish it was that easy. But to use a to use a roll on silver
paint would not hold up as good as a spray on one even if it was clear
coated. To paint the grill black I would still have to scuff the whole
thing with 600# sandpaper so the paint will stick and not peel off. I
will scuff the whole grill with 1000# sand paper after sanding off the
silver with 400# sand paper. Mask it up and paint the silver Eastwood
wheel paint and then clear the whole grill with the Eastwood wheel paint
clear. I am experimenting with one of the headlight rims I got from you
to see how this works.
"Doc"