[BaadAssGremlins] rear axle question/ front clip trade?

[BaadAssGremlins] rear axle question/ front clip trade?

 Does anyone have the track width of a CJ or Wrangler
handy? I'm curious if the AMC 20's in those rigs could
be a source for V8 rear axles. I know all the Jeep
guys here abouts hate the AMC 20 axle. For a
warmed-over small block on the street, under 400 hp,
it can be made to work fine. But when you throw 40
inch tires, big gears, beefy motor etc., and take off
crawling on boulders and jumping giant dips in dirt
roads at 60, the 20 just ain't up to it. I'm hoping
their loss is our gain. I need to find an axle for my
76 Gremlin. I'm wondering if I can just pull the posi
carrier out of some of these and move it over, or if
an entire axle will fit, or if it's very hard to find
a V8 rear end for the small car. I don't mind going to
a GM twelve bolt. It's a 232 now(or was, as I pulled
it out to swap the auto into my 74). But I'm wanting
to go with a Jeep 360/turbo 400 implant. The yards are
stuffed with FSJ's, have been for like ten years. But
the CJ's are still out there hammerin'. I ain't payin'
no 300 bucks for a crossmember either. The whole car
costed 100 bucks(with A/C), and I can just put it on
the road as is. It's complete. I'll either make a
crossmember (got a bunch of 3 inch DOM laying around),
or use those plates with the holes drilled that the
drag race guys use. I remember scoring the drawings
for those on the Internet somewhere.
  The other thing is a Hornet front clip. What I'm
wanting to do with this rig, is the V8/auto, then
73-up Hornet front clip (a la VAM Rambler Gremlin),
then Eagle flares, AMX or GT front spoiler, the rear
spoiler-looking air deflector, dechromed and painted
"Big Bad" style, completely replace the front interior
with the later Spirit/Concord/Eagle leather and wood
look, console, tilt, cruise etc. Paint it 69
Bittersweet Irridescent, no stripes. Black
windows(desert). 68 SST wheels or Torque-Thrust 16's.
Trendsetters. I guess it would look sort of like an
AMX-GT. Sell it for my 69 Javelin's paint job (maybe
some interior stuff too). The back seat's already
gone, removed before the car was delivered. It showed
up here as a two-seater. Therefore, as far as I'm
concerned, it's an AMX. I know, I know,  they built
two seater Gremlins, but my hatch window opens.
Besides, these 76's only have like one Gremlin badge
on the whole outside. Rip, stick, AMX. Poof. I've got
a 74/75 Gremlin front clip in good shape, don't have
the headlight doors though. This clip is what I call
my "collision set", in case my 74 ever gets bent. I
won't say it's show quality, but the metal is plenty
nice for a driver. I'll offer to trade this clip if
someone has a nice 73-up Hornet clip. Part for part,
similar grade. I can't afford NOS or show stuff. I'll
massage the dings and small dents in what I manage to
get, but this stuff has NO rust(stored right here in
Arizona). I expect the same. I'm not trying to sound
snobby, but this is my spare set, just in case. I
drive as much as 100 miles a day in sui-freaking-cidal
Phoenix traffic, and from what I've seen, straight
fenders etc. are at a premium. I could also offer the
slightly LESS straight 76 clip if your Hornet clip is
marginal. I'd kinda actually prefer this route,
because then I could keep my collision parts. The 76
clip has part of the straight "angle-iron" shaped part
at the top of the grill broken off. The rest is there,
and the metal is straight, some dings, but workable. I
would also prefer the 77/78 AMX flares to the GT-like
Eagle flares. It's just that those I've seen are
expensive, and I can probably get a whole set of the
Eagle ones for like 50 bucks at the yard. OK, maybe 20
apiece.
  I really wanted to get Eddie's sportabout and just
swap clips, so my next custom would be a 76 Gremlin
wagon. Then the Ramblers in LA interfered. I'm still
trying to work it out. There was a 76 Sportabout in
the yard the exact same color as my Gremlin, but it
was crushed the day after I saw it.
  later
mike