Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Digest Number 1095

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Digest Number 1095

 Subject: Arizona cars

baadass73gremlin wrote:

your 74 where the rear floor is rotting is a common
place for it to rot as mine is starting right in that
same spot.my grem woulda been rotted out long ago if
it weren't rust proofed and under a carport in Tampa
Fl. most of its life
Bart

-------->Yeah, I thought it was kind of ironic the
difference in care and climate for each car, and the
way they finally ended up.  The main reason I thought
much about this, is that right now it's auction time
down here, and I live right outside Phoenix
International Raceway, where they hold the Kruse
auction, and these guys and cars are all over my
neighborhood.  So when you talk to these guys who
throw all that money at that incredible stuff, the
"Arizona" thing comes up quite frequently.  I could
take that Michigan Gremlin and its Arizona plates and
sell it back to some dude from Detroit (where it
started) as an "Arizona" car at a premium, and it's
only been here 5 years, and three of that was out on
the street.  I guess my point is that things are not
always as they seem, either with rust or the collector
market.

  Administering surgery and chemotherapy,
    mike

SCOTT BALDAUF <blue77gremlin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Glad to hear from you again Joe. Wondered if you were
still around
here. Man I just missed a 72 Jav up here for $150. I
talked to this guy last year and it seemed like he did
not want to sell anything. Well he tells me yesterday
he sold 2 of his javs. He was pissed because the guy
turned the one in a weeks time. I probably should have
told him he should have sold it to me. LOL
                                           SCOTT

-------> I have missed out on two Javelins and a 79
Cherokee Chief in the last six months, just from
thinking it over first.  There was a 1971 Javelin SST
at this charity car lot near here, it was pretty
rough, but dry and restorable.  When I asked, they
said 700 bucks.  I was going to buy Molly (my 74 Grem)
at the time for 700 and decided to think for a couple
of days, and when I went back, they had heard from
somebody and raised the price to 2500, which for this
particular car was a bit much.
  Then a few weeks ago, my son spotted a Big Bad
Orange 72 SST in a body shop yard, and I went to get a
couple pictures. The dude said it had been abandoned
there awaiting work, and all he wanted was his paint
job, for about 2500.  This was a legit 401 car. The
guy had done the work to get the title (not easy in
AZ) and it was all there. I began scrounging around
and returned in two weeks to find the car a dark
burgundy (its original color) and the  stupid Corvette
L-88 hood scoop had been replaced with a genuine AMX
cowl induction hood.
Some kid from UTI (mechanic school in the
neighborhood) had opened his mouth to this guy and
lent him some book, and now the guy wants like 12
grand! Both of these cars have been sitting for months
now.  Then there was the Cherokee Chief, one of the
old big ones.  It was in my neighborhood, and I
noticed that it never moved.  Finally I went to talk
to the guy after a couple of months, and found out he
had taken 500 dollars two days before from a guy in
Tucson who parts 'em out for those Wagoneer guys back
east.  The truck had 22,000 miles,looked new, had an
Edelbrock Performer Manifold and carb (500 bucks right
there!), and needed another 360, as he'd bent a valve
and shredded a cylinder.  Once again, there's a moral.
 Don't underestimate how little someone will take for
an AMC.

  would a, could a, SHOULD A
 mike

----------------------------
Paul Hancock <kwikbiker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 I hate to change the subject, but it,s easier to
reply than compose, so please excuse. I've been
watching a 79 Spirit Kamm back on ebay. I wasn't aware
of the spirit even though I grew up in an AMC familly.
It kind of looks like a stretched Gremmie. If anyone
has seen this car could you give me some input, as I
am thinking about bidding. I now have a 74 Gremlin but
this car looks to good to pass up. what do ya think?
Paul in Detroit.

----> As John Rosa and others have said, the Kammback
is essentially identical to a
Gremlin.  AMC's method of construction (adopted since
by nearly every automaker) was called the "uniside",
where they took two sheets, stamped for inside and
outside, and welded them into one piece for each side,
then added in the floor and "bulkheads", radiator
support, roof panel etc.  The main change was simply
changing the shape of the rear 1/4 glass. I have
always wondered myself how much alike they are, and a
friend of mine just
bought an 81 SX/4 Kammback a couple weeks ago, so the
first thing we did was compare it to my Gremlins.
They are essentially identical to the 77-78 Gremlins,
except for the grille. I even pulled the hatch glass
off of a 78 Gremlin and installed it onto his SX/4.
Identical. Anyway, he bought his car for 700 bucks.
60,000 miles, no rust, good body and interior, luggage
rack, spoiler, console, auto, cruise, tilt, power
seats, everything a Gremlin is not.  All it needed was
the glass.  On those cars, I believe the prod. figures
in the standard catalog said like 4-5000
for 81,and like 550 for 82.

On another note, I am respectfully asking you guys to
Please not include the entire digest when you
reply.  Yahoo won't fit the whole digest repeated 5
times into their mail editor.  Then when I reply I can
only see like the first two messages.  Thank you.
  Every wonder why Nash called it the "AirFlyte"?
doesn't "Flying" take place in the "Air"? Maybe it
shoulda been the "GroundFlyte"
 mike