RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: kammback

Nah. AMC wouldn't build THAT far ahead, even of something new and
hot-selling.

The truth is likely more like this.

At the end of 78, the big cars were cancelled, the Concord selling well,

the Pacer was struggling and Gremlin needed a makeover. So, to the
Gremlin was 'replaced' by the Spirit for '79, but since the tooling was
there and AMC rarely wasted anything, they kept the Gremlin on as the
'new' Spirit kammback....to help fill out the more line even more.

When Eagle debuted in 1980, only the Concord bodys got the 4WD
treatment,
And when they were a big hit with the press and public alike, AMC added
the Spirit bodies to that line up for 1981. But the kammback, despite
being the cheapest form, looked it's age...Gremlin's age...and wasn't
popular. So it died in mid-1982 and the SX/4 died a year after that with
the end of the Concord and Spirit. Only the Eagle sedans and wagons
continued, with the 2-door dying first (1985?), then the 4-door in 1987.

Only the wagons were built as early '88s (by Chrysler).

John W Rosa
www.JavelinAMX.com