[BaadAssGremlins] Arizona cars

 I just posted a couple of photographs you guys might find interesting.

Photo 1 shows the floor of my 74 Gremlin, Molly.  This car was sold
new in Phoenix, Arizona, and well cared for and garaged for its entire
70,000 miles.  It has never left the city of Phoenix (3-speed). The
very definition of an Arizona car.  Yet look at what I found when I
pulled up the rubber floor mat.

Photo 2 shows the floor of my 76 Gremlin, BZL.  This car was delivered
to  Detroit, Michigan, where it was driven daily for 25 years, never
garaged,  then driven to Arizona five years ago.  Two years ago the
water pump failed and it was left in a farm field for TWO YEARS, where
it was subjected three times a week to flood irrigation that rose as
high as the bottoms of the seats.  After ripping out the dirt clod
called a carpet and clearing away at least half an inch of dried mud
underneath, the floor is absolutely gorgeous.

So what's the moral?  Don't fall for the myth of the "Arizona Car".  I
could show you hundreds of examples like this.  The automakers knew it
was dry out here, and lots and lots of cars don't have undercoating.
Molly has it about a half inch thick.  There were several missing
plastic plugs in the floors, but they had been covered with metal
circles and a sealant glopped over them, then the floor was painted.
These cars were cheap for a reason, and these guys knew where they
could cut corners.

  bustin' the rustin'
mike