[BaadAssGremlins] Door Tag Decode Help Needed

[BaadAssGremlins] Door Tag Decode Help Needed

Hey all,

I've got a woman asking for help in figuring out what is
and isn't kosher about her car.

Here's what the car appears to be (ignoring codes)-

Carpet: Black
Interior White
Color Mellow Yellow
AC
Rally Gauges
Automatic
401
AMX emblems all over
Tilt steering

The door tag states the following-

Body: 079728
Model    7479-8 [1974 AMX]
Trim    428 Q
Paint E9 [Mellow Yellow]
E264281

She states the VIN has '797' where '798' should be. I suspect
the whole door was changed and the car is a base-model that's
been cloned to be an AMX. But its possible, too, that the title
and dash tag are what don't belong and the car is truly an AMX,
retitled improperly.

I've suggested removing the steering box to get the serial
number off the frame rail to confirm it's true heritage, but
figured I'd offer the above in case any sleuths want to chime
in early.

Thanks in advance,

John W Rosa
www.JavelinAMX.com