Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Some Winter Parts Restoration Projects.

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Some Winter Parts Restoration Projects.

I wish there were repo's for 2 door Hornets. It's impossible to find
even decent ones now. I bought 2 from a guy in Oregon that he stated
were in good condition and when they arrived they were worse than the
ones I had. I had 2 from the orange car, 2 from a Spirit I parted out
and the 2 from Oregon. I picked the best 2 to restore. Also the
description of how restore  the sills also works for stainless trim
exactly as I stated it for the aluminum sills.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---
Yhanks Doc, I'm going to have to teach myself how to do that. I've allways worked with my hands and just needed a clue how to do that. Your right, the repros don't even look orig. , the finish isn't the same and would like to resist buying them. I've also allways admired restored stainless trim on the exterior and thought, I wish I could do that. Wish me luck, I'll need it  Paul  P.S. I think I'll keep this mail for reference.

AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Paul sill restoration is not easy and takes great patience and many many
hours. I have an assortment of body and fender hammers and small ball
peen hammers and pick hammers. I make custom wooden bucks to help beat
out the dents and scrapes. Then you go to a coarse scotch brite pad to
remove the alumium corrosion and then you go to 500#, 600#, 1000#,1500#
sa ndpaper and then to crocus cloth. Then you start with the various
grades of polishing compounds from the coarsest to the finest. I did
them on my yellow Hornet a few years ago and it takes on an average of
40 hours for one done properly. I'd love to just buy repo ones and
polish then out like chrome in 1/2 hour but non are available. :-(~
"Doc"