[BaadAssGremlins] Making A Replacement Part

[BaadAssGremlins] Making A Replacement Part

After looking for a year for the guide pin that is made of white metal
for the hatch of my orange 74 Hornet I finally gave up and said the hell
with it. To most it is probably an insignificant little part that is not
saved and goes to the crusher with the car. It is nothing more than a
1/8" thick 3/4"X2" mounting plate with a 3/8"X 7/8" pin cast together
and 2 counter sunk screw mounting holes in it to mount it on the hatch.
Mine had the pin part broke off in the plastic guide in the body's hatch
lip. It probably works just fine without it but the PIA I am had to fix
it by making a new one out of steel. I used a piece of 1/8'' steel strap
cut to the proper size, drilled and counter sunk the holes for the
mounting screws. Drilled a 3/8'' hole for the pin. Cut the pin out of
3/8'' round stock, tapered the edge  and welded the pin into the hole on
the plate from behind and ground off the excess weld so the plate will
mount flush on the hatch. Total time 1 1/2 hours to make. Now for the
PIA part, sanding it smooth so I can use one of Eastwoods plating kits
on it. Every last nick and scatch will show up if it is not smooth as a
baby's bottom. Once plated and polished it will look like chrome. I have
used Eastwoods plating kit on parts in the past on my yellow Hornet. The
parts turn out really nice.
"Doc"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM