[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Davis set up

Davis. Not trying to argue.Question...I worked in a ford dealership
for 15 years and also swapped alot of rearends. .On the 9" rearend...
are you sure its  from a 70 Mustang?  ALL ford (small body ) with
leaf springs are 43" spring pad center...my Gremlin and wifes AMX are
44 center to center.When i put a 57-59 ford car  9" in my Gremlin i
only had to notch the spring pad hole 1/4" per side(could have pushed
springs over easier though)....  NOW...57-59 ford car rearends are 43
center of spring to  center.  BUT overall are 1/4" narrower overall
than my Gremlin rearend. The 57-59 are 58" overall drum to drum
(where wheels fit on TOTAL. My Gremlins rear was 58 1/4".BUT...65-66
mustang are same...58" .NOW....all 67-70 Mustang 9" and 8"  are 59
1/4" overall. ODDLY...66-69 Fairlanes are same overall width as
Mustang (59 1/4")...BUT springs are 44" centers like a Mopar/AMC. I
have several of each of these and did some measuring. Find a 57,58 59
ford car...NOT wagon or ranchero. They are a little wider.Will slip
under a Gremlin or early Jav...etc easily. Thanks,Joe--- In
BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bryan Wilson" <rookie9621@xxxx>
wrote:

> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Davis Martin <martin-
> davis@xxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Cameron,
> >  The Ford 9" in my grem came out of a 70 mustang. It is exactally
> the same width and same spring perch locations. This holds true for
> any  9" rear out of mustangs from 65-70. Also the best is to find
> one from a lincoln Versi ? spelling? It has the disk brake setup
and
> is also a direct fit. The only thing I had to change on the 9" in
my
> gremlin to make it fit was move the brake line T. It is on the
> drivers side on a mustang, and on the passengers side on the
> gremlin.
> >  my tires look wider cause I have big slicks on rims with not
> enough backspacing. I have a set of BFG 255/60/15 that fit nicely
> under the grem. 10" wide slicks tend to stick out but that doesn't
> concern me as I don't use them on the street
> >  also I am pretty sure the 9" is the same under the Granada as
> well. If memory serves me right amc gremlin rear is 52" backing
> plate to backing plate and 43" from center of spring perch to
center
> of spring perch. Bring a tape measure with you when you go hunting
> and good luck. The yard I got mine out of told me they were all
sold
> out of ford 9" rears that all the mustangs they had had 8" rears in
> them..... I asked to look anyway and whala I procured myself a 9"
> for 100 bucks!
> >  P.S.
> >  Incase you are not sure, the difference between the 8 and 9 inch
> rear is there will be a bubble in the back of the pumpkin where the
> 9" ring gear sticks out. The 8" is smooth and rounded.
> >  Davis
> >
> > amc_car_fan <amc_car_fan@xxxx> wrote:
> > A "ford 9" ? If you meant Ford, what make/model did you get it
off
> of
> > to fit the Gremlin or did you have to modify the axle housing? In
> > looking at your photos, it appears that your tires are wider than
> the
> > fenders. Did you just get a rearend that was close and bolt it
up?
> I'm
> > looking for one myself and would like to know what to look for at
> the
> > junkyards. Thanks. Cameron
> > --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Davis Martin davis@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > No way will you achieve those #s with a cold weather smooth
> daily
> > driver. I am running mid 12's with highly modified heads, a
custom
> > ISKY cam 236 @ .050 540 lift, torker intake holley 650, milodon
> deep
> > oil pan, my race oil pump kit, 4000 stall 727 tranny with reverse
> > manuel shift, 456 rear gears in a ford 9" with 28" tall tires.
And