[BaadAssGremlins] Re: [AmericanMotorsModelBuilders] Working Out Of The B

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: [AmericanMotorsModelBuilders] Working Out Of The Box AgainUsing Modeling Skills And Materials

Thanks for the kind words John & SD. I painted the inserts with
Plasticote red oxide sandable primer. I keep white, gray, red, and black
on hand for model building.
Yesterday I painted the inserts with the body color of the car with
regular automotive acrylic enamel which I already had also. I used one
of those Prevall sprayers as it is an easy clean up versus using my air
brush. I baked them over night in my dehydrator. First I was going to
have one of my model friends make me an AMC logo decal, but didn't think
it would hold up in the elements even if I clear coated it. Then I was
just going to paint one on. The final decision is to go for a three
dimensional emblem like was glued to the rear of my car from the
factory. I will use layers of sheet plastic glued together and then
paint it. This way I can have a black edge separating the emblem's R/W/B
colors from the orange back ground. Then I will just glue the logo on
the orange insert with super glue. As far as knowing how the Turbine
wheels will look with the area between the spokes I have an orange 74
Hornet Hatchback promo I bought from a fellow member here, Stu. The AMT
62 Vette kit has the same wheels. I added the knock off from a Monogram
33 Ford street rod kit and painted the center of the spokes orange with
the same paint I am using on the 1:1 car. I also used big and little
raised white lettered BFG Radial T/A's from the tire box like the 1:1
car has. It really looks nice. So should the 1:1 car with the detailed
wheels.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- see doc it makes all look nicer and when someone ask you where you got the wheels you can tell them the story and they will whish they could do something like that . Who knows you may make some money off of it John
---- AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> After designing and making a full size sample of the AMC emblem for the
> center of knock offs on the turbine wheels on my orange Hornet the truck
> lettering shop I wanted to make me 4 of them said it was to small a job
> to just make me 4 of them. So I said then make me 8 of them. It was
> still to much trouble and not worth the effort for him. Being the hands
> on kind of guy I am there had to be a way to make them myself. After
> thinking it over for a while I decided to cut the 1 3/4" circles out of
> 30 thousands model plastic sheet, paint them orange to match the car and
> the area between the wheel spokes and then paint the R/W/B AMC emblem
> over that. To attach the finished product to the knock offs I will just
> use exterior double sided carpet tape. I have found many uses for this
> tape and is remarkably strong and weather proof. I always keep a roll in
> the house. So the total cost of all of this is ZERO as I already had all
> the materials on hand. Now that the storm has passed I will get back to
> work on the car today.
> "Doc"
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

--- End Message ---