Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: disposable cars...

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: disposable cars...

Twenty five years ago most people thought of and treated our beloved
Gremlins, Hornets, etc as disposable cars. That is why there are so few
decent ones around now.

I just went to California and bought a "disposable" car. A 1990 Ford
Festiva. On the trip from Los Angeles to Reno and home to Lincoln I covered
a little over 2200 miles in five days, used 48.4 gallons of gas for an
average of 46.3 mpg. It turned over 149,000 miles on the trip. I bought it
from the original owner whose wife was embarrassed to have it parked on the
street by their condo. Absolutely rust free California car for $500. A
little less than $1200 including the car, gas, food, four nights on the
road, and a one-way Southwest airlines ticket to LAX.

We would probably still have AMC around today if they had found a way to
partner with Subaru, Mazda, or Nissan--anybody instead of Renault. Well, I
guess that Fiat might have been worse than Renault.
I did see quite a few AMCs on the trip. A '74-76 Gremlin in Sequoia Park,
1963 Rambler and a Hornet Hatchback in Bakersfield, 1971 Ambo wagon in
Sacramento, rodded fifties American wagon in Salt Lake City, and several
daily driver Eagles in Nevada, Wyoming, and Western Nebraska.

on 10/16/05 12:43 PM, badass73gremlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx at
badass73gremlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx did write: