[BaadAssGremlins] return of the ebay amx scam

[BaadAssGremlins] return of the ebay amx scam

A few weeks ago I posted on here about a scam that pops up from time to time
on ebay with a AMX, sometimes other vehicle, but since it was a AMX it
caught a number of people's eyes, myself included. The car had people
'bidding' on it, even though the vehicle description had at the bottom 'we
would like to get at least $4000 for it' and the pictures looked like it was
well worth the $4000, looked like a nicely restored car. Sadly the numbers
and information on there had nothing to do with a vehicle. It was a real
person's number and address in New Mexico, however, they didn't own, or know
of a car for sale.

The people who set up the auction were simply phishing for suckers. That is,
those who 'bid' on the car, were simple being set up unknowlingly by the
people who had started a auction with nothing more in mind than gathering
email addresses (interested parties) of those who legitimately bid, then
emailing them directly off ebay saying they could have the car for the
$4000. Obviously it worked like a charm which somewhere in my Shut Up &
Drive lists on my site it tells about "if it sounds too good to be true, it
probably is". In this case it appears the "sellers" ripped 4 people off for
the tune of $4500 each. Of course all four were "promised" a car that did
not even exist except on photos on ebay. The big kicker here was that there
are a number of AMCers out there who are now screwed.

This is about the third time I have seen this type of scam on ebay involving
a AMC. I don't know if it happens more often with more desirable vehicles,
or higher priced vehicles, just see it when it is AMC. Below are some of the
correspondence between me and the folks whose ID was stolen for the auction.
I don't know whose car photos those were in the auction however but sure
hate to see crap like this happen. Sadly it will happen again and again.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com
Re: spoof auction on ebay #4573385257 - AMC : AMX
 Eddie,
    This action was not a "spoof"  it was a felony rip-off.  I know of at
least 4 folks who told me that they sent  $4500 to those internet felons. I
know this as I am the person who lives at the address that the felons used
to scam folks. The felons used my wife's name and address as the location of
the offending Gremlin.  I was the person who "shut down" the action. The
felons wanted to sell this picture of the car to as many people as they
could.  Smart folks used directory assistance to call and inquire about the
vehicle, I got at least 10 calls (within 3 days)  about the vehicle
(explained the scam) and about a week later I got 4 calls asking about
delivery of the vehicle as they stated that they had wired money and thought
they had purchased the car.
     No spoof it was/is a felony.

 Re: spoof auction on ebay #4573385257 - AMC : AMX
So who is ebay or police or FBI after? $18,000 for a set of photos is steep,
sort of like a Enron scam, selling shit you ain't got! You mention below it
was a gremlin but if I remember the actual auction was for a Bittersweet AMX
that was shown? Obviously they used your (or wifes) phone number and mailing
address for this scam?
  Eddie Stakes

Don't know who is/are the felons but they left many tracks and hopefully the
FBI will find them.  A Bittersweet AMX is  a Gremlin to me.  The felons only
used my wife's name and address for the scam, which is pretty stupid using a
real person and real address in your scam as prospective victims who were
industrious enough to find the phone number attached to our real address
were warned off by us before they parted with their $$$$$.
Cheers