Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 77 hornet ball joints

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 77 hornet ball joints

A word of serious advice, AMC front end work is not for a novice first
timer or amateur. If the spring should pop out it could blind or kill
you. One of the AMC dealer mechanics that I worked with was blind in one
eye from getting hit in the head with a spring that popped out. One
other thing if you replace the bottom ones also replace the top ones
unless you know they are almost new, why have to go back in  year or so
and have to replace the top ones. I am a retired/disabled professional
mechanic and always hated working on AMC & Ford front ends of the era.
The Fords were almost the same design as the AMC's and share some of the
same parts. I have 71 Ford Torino shocks in my yellow 74 Hornet. Good
luck and remember safety first.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- I need to replace the lower ball joints on my car.  According to the
Chilton's manual that I have, you have to remove the rotor/hub.  I was
looking at my car and there appears to be enough room to remove the
joints without removing the rotor.  Is this true?  Also, if I
understand the manual correctly, I need to wedge a 5" long 2x4 between
the frame and the upper control arm(?)  Do I place a jack under the
lower control arm, and then jack it up until I can shove the 2x4
perpendicular to the axis of the car under the upper control arm?
And, once I get this all set up, is it difficult to grind the rivets
off and then pop the joints out?  Sorry for all the questions, but
this is a first for me.

Thanks,
Dan

--- End Message ---