[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Overheating problem

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Overheating problem

Thanks Eddie,
But I have a new thermostat in there. In fact, it is the second one I have put in there as I
thought maybe the first one was defective. I don't think this is the problem anyway as the
car takes a while to warm up. If it was the thermostat, it would warm up musch faster as
the flow of water was being restricted. I will look for a three core rad.
Paul

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
> Somethign you might check out is the thermostat. Not sure what part of the country you
are in, but I run all my AMCs without a thermostat and have since the 1980s. Old wives
tale it will warp heads, cause global warming, seeing ufo's and other whatnot. Some of my
cars here have 150K on them like that. As for a three core, that is also highly suggested,
but small electric fans also work well, mostly I use the ones off Hyundais in salvage yards,
about $4 each. It's not a band aid on the problem either, they are meant to bring temp
down. And that they do. Sitting in Houston traffic on I-10 (it is supposed to be 99 degrees
today, ground temp hits about 140 degrees) the temp gauge can EASILY climb above 200
degrees. But I simply flip on the switch and watch it drop to a more comfortable 160-170.
I also run straight (not gay) anti freeze in my radiators, that's right, no water. All my cars
have original 7 blade flex fans also, except the Eagles. Hope some of that helps, but if you
experiment some you will find problem, it could be anything from sticking thermostat, to
plugged up radiator, to plugged up water holes in block/head. One car here that was
constantly running above operating temperature was a Hornet, with 258-6. I could never
figure it out until one day decided to pull out the radiator. It looked great from outside,
even inside. But when I went to bring it out of the vehicle damned thing was very heavy.
The problem? It was chock full of crap, so I used it for scrap, put in a pick a part radiator I
bought for $24, and never had a problem again, but I never suspected the radiator as it
looked NEW nice black paint, look inside no crud, allt he crud was in the bottom of the
radiator.