[BaadAssGremlins] Re: The Man with the Golden Gun.

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: The Man with the Golden Gun.

Off my website, hope these links work:
1974 James Bond Hornet, Bangkok Thailand Dealership. Roger Moore don't look
too happy about this photo, in front of a American Motors dealership in
Bangkok, Thailand, in 1974. The Hornet in the background would later come
crashing thru the window
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts%20&%20Literature/jamesbondamc.jpg
this  was for the AMC Cult Classic "THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN" movie from
1974.
Of course the Matador coupe came from the same dealership. This Matador is
still around and was owned by Cecil Hughes of England before he passed away
in 2003. The Hornet, which does a heart pounding 360 over a canal, is owned
by a gentleman in Iowa. The Hornet is a factory 360/727. If you have never
seen this movie, go rent it or buy it on ebay. Sponsored by AMC!
Also off my website under the 'amc dealerships' section:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts%20&%20Literature/hornetcrashingthruglass.jpg
Bangkok, Thailand, From the 1974 AMC Cult Classic
The Man With The Golden Gun
(courtesy Arcticboy)
1974 Hornet 360V8 crashing thru plate glass

Hey, this looks like a good candidate for a Bond car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4569720164

Speaking of Bond cars, a few years ago Kristian Koos of Corgi Toys called me
and said they were considering doing a Bond Hornet from this movie and he
had been told about some of my helping out with Playing Mantis/Johnny
Lighting miniatures, and needless to say I jumped on it, as a 73-77 Hornet
hatchback had never been done before in 1:43rd scale, and metal. So not only
sent them NOS aMC color catalogs with all those photos, but also photos I
had taken of 73-77 Hornet Hatchbacks at meets thru the years, but better
yet, hooked them up with the fellow in Iowa who actually owns this red Bond
car. That fellow drove it to Chicago where it was extensively photographed
to get details right. The car, a 74 360V8, AT, was used in the barrel jump
over the canal. Still has a commemerative plaque on the dash. Not sure how
it got to US from Thailand however. There were 2-3 of these cars used in the
movie however.

The Matador with wings in same movie is/was owned by Cecil Hughes, who
passed away two years ago, he lived in England. The car was affectionately
known as 'ugly mugly' over there.

Back to the Hornet, I ended up with a sealed case of them, courtesy of
Corgi. Not for sale, maybe when my two small boys get to be teen agers will
I sell them. This is the finished product:
http://cgi.ebay.com/James-Bond-007-AMC-Hornet-Hatchback-TY07101-MIB_W0QQitemZ6972757287QQcategoryZ56316QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And later, Johnny Lightning would also offer one, although in 1:64th scale:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Johnny-Lightning-James-Bond-AMC-Hornet_W0QQitemZ6973215691QQcategoryZ760QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One last thing: this spiral jump was pioneered a few years before by the
Hell Drivers first done in Houston at the Astrodome. A stiripper 72 Javelin,
258-6 was used, and had 5-6 backups. The Astro Spiral Javelins thrilled
people all over the US and Canada. I have a neat story abut them somewhere
here. Here are two photos of them off my website, Chick was only one of the
drivers:
1972 Astro Spiral Javelin: This fleet of unusual cars were part of the J. M.
Productions Hells' Drivers tour, which also included many Gremlins, Matadors
and Hornets. This "Stunt" of driving a car roughly 42mph up a ramp, spinning
in a 360 degree turn and landing on another ramp was first performed in the
Houston Astrodome here in the early 1970s, 1972 to be exact. It was also
unheard of because the feat was done on computers first, which is common
nowadays. Driver Chick Galiano gears up in this photo in the cavernous
Astrodome...
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts%20&%20Literature/72_astrocar.jpg
1972 Astro Spiral Javelin IN AIR: with flashbulbs popping, hearts thumping,
breath holding, beer spilling in the Astrodome, Chick performs a never
before done stunt before a sellout crowd of over 66,000 people in 1972!! A
almost near perfect landing and the crowd was on it's feet; and word quickly
spread about this amazing triumph in a six cylinder 72 Javelin. Several of
these cars (I understand there was six used in the tour) still exist in
Buffalo, NY.
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts%20&%20Literature/astrojavjumping.jpg
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX