[BaadAssGremlins] Parking brake question

[BaadAssGremlins] Parking brake question

I'm working on the rear brakes on my 77 hornet, and I'm trying to
determine if the parking brake cable to the driver's side is messed
up.  With the brakes fully disassembled, I applied and then released
the parking brake pedal several times.  I noticed that the spring
attached to the to parking brake lever became more compressed each time-
it did not expand when the pedal was released.  I tried to pull the
cable to expand the spring, but couldn't.  I'm thinking that the cable
is messed up in the protevtive sheath, and that I need a new one.  Am I
right?  If so, can it be fixed by removing the cable from the car, and
working the cable back and forth thru the sheath with some lubricant?

Thanks,
Dan