Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Wheel lug removal

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Wheel lug removal

I just read Eddie's post to your stud question and am confused by his
answer. The three  5/16" bolts only hold the brake drum on to the hub as
you may have found out by now. The large nut on the center of the axel
holds the hub on not the three 5/16 bolts, they hold the brake drum on
only and almost nobody but me ever puts them back on as the wheel when
it is tightened with the 5 lug nuts drives everything home tight . I
been working on these car's for 40 years and the hub comes off the rear
axel on my bought new 65 American as it does on my 74 Hornet as it does
on the 79 Concord rear in my second 74 Hornet and every other AMC I ever
worked on Matador, Ambo, Rebel is the same, remove the axel nut and use
a puller to remove the hub. It is an old style rear that was used in the
20's and 30's by everyone. AMC never upgraded to the modern one piece
axel in the mid to late 50's like everyone else. If your car has sat for
a long time which I suspect by you present and past questions, pull the
hub, have a machine shop remove and press on the new axel bearing's. You
will have to remove and replace the outer bearing race as AMC rears have
tapered grease packed rear wheel bearings like in the front. You will
also have to replace the inner and outer rear wheel bearing seals on
both sides. Now that I probably have confused you, E-Mail me off list
with your phone no# and a time to call you as I have unlimited min. on
my cell phone and can answer any and all of these questions. If you are
not pulling the axel to change the wheel bearings and seals just hammer
the the thing out. I just did it last year on my new 74 Hornet, you
won't hurt anything. These are real cars not delicate ricers.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- Doc,

I was reading the tsm for 1973 and there is a section detailing the
removal of the hub from the rear axle.  I'm not sure if my 77 is the
same, but if it is, does it make sense to remove the hub first, and
then pound out the studs on my work bench?  I'm afraid that pounding
on the studs while the hub is stil attached to the axle my cause some
internal damage to the rear end.  I've never dome this before, so I
have no idea.

Thanks for your help,
Dan

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AMC74HORNET@xxxx wrote:
> Dan screw an old lug nut 3/4 the depth of the lug nut an wack it
with a
> big hammer. To install the new one line up the serrations on the new
lug
> with the ones in the axel and add  a few washers to the outside of
the
> axel flange and tighten a lug nut  with an impact wrench drawing the
new
> lug into the axel flange. Removing an AMC axel is a pain even when
you
> have the right tools.
> "Doc"

--- End Message ---