[BaadAssGremlins] Re: shipping rates (long!)

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: shipping rates (long!)

Hi everyone, I thought I would comment on shipping since I do it daily. On
FedEx, shipping a V8 crossmember would be about $20-$30...and this would
depend to WHERE. For instance it would cost me more to ship one from Houston
to say, Seattle or Boston, than it would to say, Orlando or Phoenix. Same
with lighter stuff too. I just shipped a new 71-74 AMX/Javelin woodgrain
shift handle to a person in Michigan. I figured shipping in this small box
would be about $4.95 by USPS Priority. But decided since it was in the car,
and I was going by FedEx to ship several other items, I would send it from
there. Bad move. It costed me $6.50 so I ate $1.55 out of my pocket.

I rarely use UPS as they are the most expensive. A "balloon/oversize"
applies for a number of items. Here is another example. A new front
fiberglass spoiler is over 6 feet long. I charge people about 40 to ship it,
even though it is only ten pounds. To send this to Florida is $44 by UPS.
The USPS would not touch it, too big. And FedEx was only $29. Counting the
special lamp boxes one must buy to ship this item, FedEx was the way to go,
as boxes alone was $8.00. I can't ship this into Canada as cost will exceed
the spoiler. UPS wants $169, FedEx wants $192 and USPS wanted $174 to ship
one into Canada. I was going to give the fellow a refund, however, advised
him if he has a US shipping address, or someone he knows on 'this' side of
the border, I would ship it there, which he did luckily!

Now if you use one of these 'box and ship' places they will really cornhole
you in shipping. A crossmember will easily exceed $60 shipping if they do
it. You are paying them for 'handling', and 'shipping' and 'box costs' and
probably their Subway sandwich and Coke too.

I can't tell you how many times I won't bid on a item on ebay because the
seller does NOT put in the shipping. If I want to bid, I will however email
them directly and ask them how much would this item be to ship to my zip of
77043. Some of the quotes I get back are amazing. It is like phishing for
more money on their item. I was going to bid on a 72 Ambassador grill in
mint shape for $20, however, shipping was a staggering $100. Next! A Hot
Wheels or Matchbox toy costs less than $5 to ship anywhere, even to US
territories, yet you go pull up any ebay auction
http://search.ebay.com/amx-hot-wheels_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
on these and shipping is $5-$6 on most. I ship them for $3.95, although
sometimes will add delivery confirmation for exrta 50 cents.

Some auctions have a little USPS box in the auction where you can punch in
your own zip code and get a quick quote, that is a neat feature. Yes, there
are a SLEW of people on e-bait that overcharge in shipping in a effort to
'recoup' their 'listing fees' that is not new. A call to a whole number of
vendors on my Planet Houston vendors list will show same. Some are honest as
day is long, others will charge 'handling'. Handling my ass. As Doc would
say "JINGLE THIS!!!".

There was a photo I wanted to bid on/buy on ebay the other day. I read the
fine print and shipping was $3.95, and a handling charge of $2.00. Why add
the cost of a gallon of gas to a photo you will be handling to put in a
envelope anyhows?  I could go on about COD too. If someone wants COD if can
whup you for $15-$75 in additional fees. Sometimes more. A fellow wanted a
hood I had here, like yesterday. I told him shipping would be about $250. I
don't ship Greyhound, nor Amtrak, neither have good shipping records. He
said he would do it COD. He next day aired me the payment for hood, I boxed
it up and sent it Rodeway COD to him in Philly. The COD charges were $110.

But back to ebay. Here is a radio for instance that one can put in the new
USPS Flat Rate shipping box by the postal service and it is only $7.70 to
ship anywhere in US. Note shipping charges:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6763&item=7986589218

This timing chain cover is right on the money on shipping at $15:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6763&item=7987044981

While this 79 color catalog is only $2.50 to ship in the US, sellers charge
for gas to post office:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7169435201&category=13558&rd=1

And this new harmonic balancer can also be shoved in the $7.70 Flat Rate
Box, seller is charing $12:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33616&item=7985978396

And here are two of my auctions. These NOS bottles are not cheap to ship, I
just sent one to Portland, OR and it was $8.50, I charged them $6 to ship so
I bit it for $2.50 in shipping!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6545295697&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAS:US:3

My front stainless spoilers I not only charge box cost, but shipping is
included in the 'shipping' included in the auction. The darned gun boxes are
$2.68 each, just bought three more of them today.
So $11 usually, but not always, covers the shipping in the US:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6545272979&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAS:US:3

So ya'll read the fine print. And that not only includes the seller's
description of the item (and sometimes they will tell you bad points buried
in description) but also includes the shipping. And if no shipping shown in
auction, email them while auction is going on, that is what that 'ask seller
a question' button is for! Good luck, sorry for long post,
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx