Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Progress

I agree on finding a rust free car that needs mechanical work.
Mechanical repairs are much easier and usually much cheaper than
repairing rust. Although I didn't think I was going to spend 5,000$ in
mechanical repairs on a 500$ car. I bought the molded carpet kit from
Kennedy American. There was plenty of carpet it was I just had to trim
and fit and hand bind 4 out of the six pieces so far. I haven't tried
the 2 main floor pieces yet for fit. I did find another area that needs
some repair. Where the door striker screws into the door pillar there
was a 4 inch in diameter black round sheet metal washer behind the
striker on the drivers side. Having had my other Hornet for 31 years I
knew what I was going to find when I removed the striker and washer. The
door pillar itself was cracked from the weight of the door when the
hinges wore out. I had the same problem on my yellow Hornet. The simple
cure is to cut a piece of 1/8 steel plate 2 1/4X4 inches. Drill a hole
in the center for the striker and a 1/8 inch hole on all four corners
for pop rivets. Paint the plate to match the car's color install it with
the striker, adjust the door and them pop rivet the plate to the door
jam. I put one on the pass door to just in case. This repair has lasted
25 years on my yellow Hornet. I went to a friends steel shop for the
steel, to another friends machine shop to have the striker holes drilled
( I didn't have a 9/16 drill bit) and he cut the plate into the 2 pieces
I needed, I then went to the local auto parts stores machine shop and
had the 2 plates sand blasted. Total cost of the 2 plates 15$. I just
need to drill the holes for the pop rivets and paint the plates today
and install them. One more of those annoying little things fixed and out
of the way. The damn car will probably be better than new when I am
finished with it as I have incorporated all the upgrades and
modifications I have done on the yellow Hornet in the last 31 years to
cure all the problems and design flaws.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- You see.
The reason your seats were taking longer was because the Gremlin God
knew you were gonna have to repair the floor. LOL
Sounds like your making good progress. Did you buy the carpet pre
made?
I bought mine from Whitney and I wasnt real happy with the fit. It
was like they didnt give me enuff room were it goes into the rocker
panel covers.
I to bought my car because there was no rust on it. You can always
redo a motor more easily than you can rebondo everything. Good luck
on it. Rod

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AMC74HORNET@xxxx wrote:
> I got the seats and old carpet and it's jute backing out yesterday
along
> with the so called tar impregnated  cardboard sound deadener.
Everything
> just crumbled it was so sun baked. I did find one small rust spot
in the
> floor on the drivers side where the seam is that joins the floor
to the
> firewall. This is a common spot. I just have to cut ot a 2X8 inch
> section of the floor out and weld in a new piece. After all the
grief
> this car has given me I realised the main reason I bought this car
was
> it had never been hit or repaired or the paint even touched up,
granted
> it has a few dings and minor dents but is 99% rust free. Also the
delay
> in getting the seats re-upholstered gives me time to repair the
rust and
> not lose any more time. I might actually be finished with the
interior
> in 3-4 weeks.
> "Doc"

--- End Message ---