[BaadAssGremlins] Daily Drivers

I see we have quite a diverse group of daily drivers here. You drive
what works for you and what you can afford. Since 1979 I have had 2 - 71
Chebby's one a wagon and one a 4 door sedan, a 72 Puick Skylark wagon
and my present 77 Malibu. They were all good cheap easy to fix and parts
were cheap GM's. I thought about buying a PT Cruiser when they came out
but they made a 4 door instead of the 2 door like the proto type was. I
couldn't get my fat old crippled butt into it. Besides I don't like 4
doors. None of the cookie cutter cars appeal to me. And the few non
cookie cutter cars that did appeal to me were way to expensive for me.
Since my Malibu is rusting out from under me I started looking for it's
replacement 2-3 years ago and decided I wanted an AMC. I looked at
Gremlins, Hornet's, Matador's and even a Pacer. Either they were junk or
over priced or both. When this orange 74 Hornet Hatchback turned up for
sale with it's super clean body I bought it. Granted I spent a lot of
money on mechanical repairs and didn't have to completely re-do the
interior but I am. When I am done I will have a daily driver I didn't
have to settle for but actually like. I been driving my yellow Hornet
for over 31 years. With a 6 cyl, 1 bbl, auto, power everything and A/C
it is good on gas and with a few suspension changes and the proper tires
it rides and handles just fine for me. I like the easy touch and the
feel of the Saginaw recip. ball steering versus the new rack and pinion
steering. When I came into that large sum of money last June all my
friends said are you going to buy a new car including my daughter &
wife? I said yes, I already did, the orange 74 Hornet. I could have kept
the mint 84 Dodge Aries wagon I got from my mother with 11,000 original
miles but it is front wheel drive which I don't like either. It also was
hard for me to get in and out of.
So if your choice is a ricer, a 4 door or a cookie cutter car so be it,
it's just not for me.
"Doc"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/0xaSZB/UOnJAA/Y3ZIAA/YtqqlB/TM