Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Starting trouble help needed.

John,  It could be the starter solenoid mounted on the inner fender. They are about 6 bucks at a parts store or you could 'hot wire' it as Doc suggested. If you 'hot wire' it (run a 12-14g wire from the big + cable side of the solenoid first to the little terminal on the solenoid that has the rubber 90 degree wire, I think its a green wire, peel back the insulation and wrap the copper strands around that terminal then re-attach the 90degree plug make sure you still have about 2" of wire left now take off the other 90degree plug with the yellow wire, leave it dangling and touch your jumper wire to that terminal. It should crank over) and you can stand right there and check if gas is going thru the carb or check spark (ignition) without having to jump in and out of the car.  Gary 'The Mix'

-----Original Message-----
From: John W Rosa <JohnRosa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AMC List <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: BaadAssGremlins <BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:28:49 -0400
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Starting trouble help needed.

I was taking my Hornet for a ride the other day and had to
tow it home because of a starting problem I haven't
encountered before. Read on if you think you can help figure
out the issue.

The car started up fine when cold, with it's usual tendency
to stall 'til a minute or two has passed. Toying with the
pedal is enough to keep her running those first couple of
minutes.

I drove it for about 10 minutes when I stopped at a store to
grab a drink. When I came out, the car cranked, but did not
fire up. It did fire somewhat, but only as long as the key
remained in the start position, meaning the starter was still
engaging. But as soon as allowed to return to the 'run'
position, the car stalled.

I popped off the air cleaner lid, and closed the choke. Now it
would only crank with no sign of firing.

Propping the choke open again meant it would again fire as long
as the starter was engaged.

A bit of starter fluid spray was no help.

After it was towed home, I swapped the fuel filter, plugs,
points and condenser, but the issue remains unchanged.

Any ideas where to go next?

John

<FONT COLOR="#000099">What would our lives be like without music, dance, and
theater?
</FONT><A HREF=""http://us.click.yahoo.com/2xaSZB/SOnJAA/Y3ZIAA/YtqqlB/TM" target=_blank>http://us.click.yahoo.com/2xaSZB/SOnJAA/Y3ZIAA/YtqqlB/TM"><B>Click
Here!</B></A>