[BaadAssGremlins] AC Compressor and stuff

[BaadAssGremlins] AC Compressor and stuff

I'm in the process of rebuilding my '72 Gremlin.  I
removed the engine and drivetrain and stripped it
down.  I had the head rebuild and have been cleaning
the rest of its 30years of neglect and accumlated
grime!

The YORK AC compressor unit was sooo caked with grease
and crud that it's got me wondering if the crud is
from blowback from a possible thermostat housing leak
or if the compressor itself leaked over time.  I'm not
convinced it's even salvageable as it was not working
when I bought the car.  I'm probably better off
starting from scratch on this one.

Has anyone replaced this system?  I was told the YORK
compressor was still relatively affordable.  Anyone
replace it with a new or rebuilt model?  Anyone go
with a completely different setup?  I'd like to keep
it as close to original as possible but not am not
necessarily married to the idea.

Anyone care to share their insight into this?

Thanks.

Bill
Dallas, TX
'72 Gremlin
'72 Olds Custom Cruiser Wagon (newly restored)
'71 Mark III
'70 Cadillac Convertible

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2xaSZB/SOnJAA/Y3ZIAA/YtqqlB/TM