[BaadAssGremlins] PCV Valve

Got a question when you did away with the PVC valve do you have some kind of vent pipe for it. I remember the old Ford sixes had a vent pipe and when the valve guides went out it smoked like hell out of it. If your not running a vent pipe how do you keep from gumming up the system. I have had the hose come out of the valve cover on my Van and not know it and the oil got gummy as hell like there was water in it. Just asking.
Terry