RE: [BaadAssGremlins] INDY versus Edelbrock versus stockheads....HELP!!

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] INDY versus Edelbrock versus stockheads....HELP!!

Carb: A 750 CFM carb with a vacuum secondary, like Edelbrock's line (Carter style), would be perfect for the street. You can get a nice tuning kit for the track so you can get the secondaries to open a bit faster for better acceleration out of the hole. The kit also includes metering rods and jets (I believe) that would help you fine tune you’re the carb to your combination.

Heads: don't just look at valve & port sizes. A good engine is like a recipe: with the right ingredients, boy does it feel & taste good!!!

You don't want the ports & and valves to be too big 'cause you'll loose torque on the low end and the engine will "like" to rev to make power, not realistic for a street engine. Don't get caught-up with airflow numbers too (head flow in CFM). It's not all about how much air you can bring in, it's also about how fast you can bring it in. If you're familiar with GM's Vortec heads, that's what it's all about: moving air into the engine quickly.

Cam: My best advise hear would be to contact a cam manufacturer. I know a lot of guys will respond and say they have had bad experiences with this or that cam company, but I have been successfully using Lunati for years now and they've never steered me wrong. Keep in mind that they can only work with what you tell them, so make sure you have all the necessary data, i.e: gear ratio, trans type, converter stall speed, vehicle weight, what type of use is this intended, compression ratio, total displacement, carb size, cyl. head specs, rocker ratio, etc. Might be worth a "pre-call" to get some ideas from the guy (make sure you get his co-ordinates so you can call him back and not have to go over the whole story again). You can even buy the shaft on the phone with him when you’re done. I’ve had guys laugh at my cam specs when we were bench racing (they go to the bottom of the page in the cam book and buy that big stick!!!) only to beet the pulp out of them at the track, with a smaller engine to boot!!!

Take your time, buy good quality parts, have a professional shop do the machine work (not some hillbilly) and take you time assembling (if you’re doing it) that jewel in a super-dooper clean manner and you’ll love what you’ve created! There’s nothing like the feeling of firing up a new engine that you built for the first time and hearing the rumpa-t-rump in the pipes!!!

Anyways, that’s my 2 cents!

Patof.