[BaadAssGremlins] Re: T-5 Transmission questions

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: T-5 Transmission questions

Bill,

Just picked up a T5 myself for my '71 Javelin, I have been
researching these trannys for some time.

Okay, the Borg Warner T5 was available in many different cars, and
trucks, with many different gear sets and torque capacities
available.  I have a T5 in my Eagle SX/4 no less.  They were in
Mustangs, Capri's, Camaro's, Firebirds, even S-10's and Rangers, and
Concords and Eagles...and others. No, you cannot use just any of
them.  The easiest way to put a T5 behind an AMC is to use a Ford
Mustang T5 from a 5.0 (302) motor.  This is because the input shaft
is the correct length to use with an AMC 6.5 inch bellhousing, that's
the depth roughly.  You cannot use an 8 inch deep bellhousing, like
that from a T10 AMC.  Instead, you look for a 6.5 inch bellhousing
from a manual tranny AMC in the mid 70's to early/mid 80's,
preferably one that had either the SR4 or T4/T5 behind it.  I have
three of these bellhousings, two from 79 Spirit AMX's with the 304
and one from a '81 Concord with 258 and T4.  The SR4 and T4 are very
light duty manual trannys that have the same bolt pattern as the
Mustang T5.  A 4 cylinder T5 from a Mustang will not work, it's input
shaft is the incorrect length not to mention it will not withstand hi
power abuse for any length of time.

So, with the Mustang 5.0 T5, you get the correct bolt pattern and the
correct input shaft length.  Depending on your motor, you will want
to stick with the 1990 and later 5.0 T5's, also known as the World
Class T5's, called that for their beefed up internals.  The T5
entered Ford Mustangs line in 1983 and progressively was improved
upon through the years.  There is also a pretty good aftermarket for
the T5's, you can buy a brand new WC T5 with a 305 lb/ft torque
rating for around $1100 from Summit.  OR, you can do like I'm doing
and buy an older T5 case and have it sent to G Force transmissions
where they completely go over the internals with new, stronger
pieces, capable of 600 hp and 500 lb/ft of torque.

There are a few things to keep in mind though.  One, the Mustang 5.0
bearing retainer is just a bit larger than the AMC bellhousings
hole.  YOu have two choices, have the existing bearing retainer
turned down to fit (a machine shop can do this), or find an AMC
SR4/T4/T5 bearing retainer and use that.  Next, the input shaft is a
16 spline IIRC, so you have to use a Ford clutch disc but an AMC (GM)
pressure plate.  And finally, you have find the correct pilot
bushing, one that matches the inside diameter of the AMC flywheel
pilot bushing hole, but also matches the diameter of the tip of the
input shaft for the input shaft hole.  I don't have the actual
dimensions handy, but I do have them.  A machine shop can also
measure and make this item for you.

Hope this helps!!

> Got a couple of questions for anyone with the answers.
>  Were the T-5's available only in Mustangs or was it
> across various models?  Can I use ANY of them?  Is
> there a specific date range I'm limited to?  Is there
> a model year better than any other?
> Any insight you can provide would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill
> Dallas, TX
> '72 Gremlin
> '72 Olds Custom Cruiser Wagon (newly restored)
> '71 Mark III
> '70 Cadillac Convertible
>

> > Yes.  A T-5 is a five speed manual trans.  AMC used
> a bellhousing in the lat 70s
> > early 80s that bolts straight to a T-5... An
> overdrive transmission that was
> > standard in the V8 GT Mustang of the 80s and 90s.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

'Thanks & Giving.'