[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Gremlin Cargo Panels

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Gremlin Cargo Panels

Todd,
Thanks for the info.  I went back to the salvage yard
yesterday and determine the panels were the same with
one minor exception.  I picked them up for only
$25.00.  What a deal! I was expecting to pay about
$60.00.

Anyway, the '76 had a single slot for the hatch latch
mechanism while the '72 had two but that's no biggie.
It will be easy to create two latch slots and over the
original one.

As you indicated the panels were held up by button
fasteners 1" across and about 1 1/4" inches long which
I'm convinced saved them from the usual plight of
cracking.  My interior is black as are the new panels
but I plan on repainting everything black again to
give it a fresh look.

When I restored my '73 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon (sold
4 years ago) and then again on '72 Custom Cruiser, I
discovered the wonders of vinyl paint and am sold on
it.  I didn't by the store bought stuff but had the
correct color paint mixed at an auto paint supply
place.  For the '73 they mixed the dark saddle brown
for the replacement dash and the correct beige for the
'72s interior panels.  I redid ALL of them it covered
some of the faded spots caused by sun and age.  You
literally can not tell they've been redone.

The paint wasn't that expensive to have mixed and it
sprayed on --flawlessly--.  No matter what I did, I
counld not make it run and it covered absolutely
smoothly that you could never tell if was original or
resprayed.  It gave everything a fresh clean look.

Anyway, my point is that if you need some refreshing,
the buttons can be painted along with the panels.  I
was looking at the dash too and will likely be going
back for the dash shell it did not appear to have any
of the usual cracks.  Maybe it will be another lucky
day.

Bill
Dallas, TX
'72 Gremlin
'72 Olds Custom Cruiser Wagon (newly restored)
'71 Mark III
'70 Cadillac Convertible

--- americanmotorscorporationamc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> Message: 1
>    Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:36:09 -0000
>    From: "Todd of MN" <rails3@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Gremlin Cargo Panels
>
> Bill,
>
> My 76 has the 1" button fasteners. They all broke or
> had already
> popped off when I took the interior out for my
> rebulid. I'm debating
> what to do to secure the interior. I'm sure those
> button things are
> hard to find in the correct color.  It always bugs
> me when they
> assemble things in such a way that they are not easy
> to take apart
> and put back as many time as you want.
>

> Todd MN
> 76 Gremlin