[BaadAssGremlins] Was Billet One More Time/Now Chain Stores

[BaadAssGremlins] Was Billet One More Time/Now Chain Stores

The opening of a few big chain stores doesn't seem to have a big effect
where  live. There is still the same small auto parts store that has
been there for over 30 years and run by the same person a block away
from a new Auto Zone, and none of the other small auto parts places
closed up either when Nappa opened a big store. Everybody said that when
Home Depot opened up a huge store with a Cosco food store next to it
that they would kill the two small lumber yards, liquor stores and
hardware stores. Only one lumber yard closed and that was because the
owner just retired. I been going to the same auto parts store since the
present owner took it over 20 years ago. The hardware store for 30
years, the liquor store for over 30 years. Sure I could go to the big
chains stores but the service is not as good and I hate battling the
crowds for a parking space. And there never is enough handicapped
parking spaces at these places either as easy access is an imporant
factor for me. AMC content. I picked up some carriage bolts and went
past my friends shop and ground them down to fit the stock AMC window
roller handles. I still have to machine down the taper a bit on the
billet knob itself and notch the shaft for the set screw. All in all
this turned out to be an easier job than I expected and it gives me a
rest from the button job on the door panel for 2-3 days.
"Doc"

Give the gift of life to a sick child.

--- Begin Message ---
You are lucky to still have a local 'Mom & Pop' type hardware store
like this in your area, Doc. There aren't even any good ones left in
the small town my parents live in (& I grew up in) 40 miles south of
here. WalMart & the interstate fast food/grocery/national chain
stores killed our downtown. But I can remember the smell and 'feel'
of the old feed & hardware stores with the wide planked wood floors,
kegs o' nails, bulk seeds, saddles, etc. Those stores are either
empty hulls, pawn shops, or pre-paid cell phone stores now. SAD. And
no more AMC dealers either! Anyone working on a time machine? I need
some NOS parts...acutally, I guess that would be NEW parts if I went
back in time to purchase them! Heck, I guess I would just go ahead
and buy a few cars while I was at it! ~Lu~

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AMC74HORNET@xxxx wrote:
Luckily my local hole in the wall hardware store has a huge
selection of what I may need for this. They had all the stainless
screws and trim washers I needed to install the custom hatch
upholstery panel.
> I always go to the local stores when ever possible than go to a
chain store like Napa or Home Depot. People need to support the small
local stores in their neighborhood's when they can. This country was
founded on small businesses.
> "Doc"

--- End Message ---