[BaadAssGremlins] Re NOS AMC AM/FM radios....NOT!

[BaadAssGremlins] Re NOS AMC AM/FM radios....NOT!

Ya'll be careful, several of these radios were not AMC radios. I can tell you that AMC did use a variety of radios from Motorola, Mitsubishi, Ford, Kraco, Johnson to name a few. This is not one of them. It is a NOS analog radio someone put a cheesy AMC sticker on it. And it has been for sale for months on ebay also. Here is another that has been on there for sale for months:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38644&item=7950301375&rd=1

The biggest problem here is the cheesy decal on it. Yes, it might fit a variety of AMC cars but it is NOT stock equipment.

And a RCA cassette deck with decal taped on like others:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38639&item=7951131651&rd=1

Not a bad markup. You buy out a place with obsolete radios for $2-$5 each. Then get a small decal made up at Office Depot or Kinkos for another $5-$10 and affix it to some radios. Arrgh. Someone prove me wrong. I have looked thru a number of Dealers Accessory Guides which have every radio AMC would offer and never seen one of these. Maybe it is in a 1979-up as I don't have those, but then why list them for earlier models?

I simply want someone to show me some original AMC order forms or accessory books with RCA in them, and/or a cheesy decal on them like this. Every book I have there is a AMC or American Motors logo somewhere on the radio face or door. Why? Because a radio was a high dollar item. AMC found it cheaper to outsource and buy radios from other manufacturers and affix their name in the front. For instance a AM/FM/CB in 1977 was a $365.00 option. Not cheap. A 1972 AM radio was $66 for Grem/Horn/Jav.  If you wanted AM/FM/Multiplex for your Javelin it was $196. For Matador/Ambassador it was $235 and was a vertical radio, a radio AMC had to have made from 1967-73 to fit the mailbox hole. A AM/8 track for your AMX was $190. And all had American Motors on the little door or on the front facia.

AMC had only a few radios that I know of that never did say aMC on the front and those were Motorolas from 74-76 in Matador coupes. And I don't know why.

Anyhows, it is late, Ralph, thanks for the lead on these radios, possibly someone can use them, us AMCers are a resilient bunch and can make anything fit! Possibly someone can use them, but just hate to see the seller post them as 'AMC equipment' when they aren't. A little decal don't make them AMC OEM I guess. Regardless, if someone has AMC accessories and dealership order form books that shows a RCA radio, please send me a copy, as I'd like to be proved wrong! :~))> goodnight,
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx