[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Barrett Jackson Auto Starts today!!!

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Barrett Jackson Auto Starts today!!!

Hi Ed, thanks for the link. Ya'll might enjoy, maybe not, this thread from
the amcforum.net site about this car.
http://cgi.amcforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Auction;action=display;num=1094157364
And this was my reply today, it's long, and some may or may not agree with
it:
I'm going to chime in here too. Hopefully Mark can correct me if I'm wrong.
It's my understanding that this vehicle was sold to some folks who gave the
Knapps a story about how they wanted it for their kids and to show on the
circuit? Kids must have not wanted it.

Seems the circuit they might have been talking about was the auction
circuit. It would be one thing for the sellers, Knapps who busted their
butts restoring this car thru the years and actively showing it to sell it
in a auction.

It is another thing altogether to lie to people (in this case the Knapps) by
the 'buyers' who are nothing more than speculators. This car has had 150
miles put on it since it was bought, and hauled quickly to the Barrett
Jackson auction in a effort to bank.

I'm sure some of you will say, hey, they paid for it, they can do what they
want with it. Correct, they can drive it off a dammed cliff for all I care,
it is their property. However, to me at least, this does the hobby no favors
simply because Mark got 'a good price' for it. I'm not blaming Mark either,
as I would have taken the money and ran myself! :deal And yes, that is
hypocritical on my part, however, in another ebay thread here, see a fellow
with a 70 AMX note who he will, and won't sell his car to: (nice
amx...but..thread)
http://cgi.amcforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Auction;action=display;num=1106063435

And a car that has been passed around more times, ok, about as much, as my
ex wife  :puke in the past seven years, and none of the speculators,
brokers, car lots all over this Great State of Texas  :deal can't SELL it.
For $10K-$15K: (er, I don't think so thread)
http://cgi.amcforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Auction;action=display;num=1090244458

My point is this. Actually several of them if this bogus story the buyers
gave the Knapps is true. How often does this go on? And why? While it is sad
to see speculation in the AMC market by those who have obviously been priced
out of their own market, I don't agree with it. I just don't like bounty
hunters, and that is the sole reason many years ago I put up the Shut Up &
Drive Lists on my website. No, I don't know how many bounty hunters and
speculators and brokers and middlemen leeches might buy cars off it; nor do
I care, it is there for all to see. And if they think they can make a buck,
fine. I don't see anything wrong either with a car lot, or broker, selling a
vehicle and making some spare change. I do however dislike seeing some
idiots come into the hobby, just like the "PRICE SPIKE" in 1988-1991 and who
could care less about the vehicles, only attempting to secure (insert your
favorite marque here, from AMC, Ford, Mopar, Chevy, GM, ect) a vehicle, only
to resell it at the next available outlet. That pizzes me off. How many of
you were around or remember the Fortune Magazine issue telling readers to
'buy, sell, hold' of different models? A AMX was pictured and it said "buy"
as prices would go up 438% by the year 2000 12 years later. Didn't happen. A
MG-TC was pictured, and Fortune warned "sell" and a Ferrari(?) was pictures
and readers were told "hold". How many of them took that advice and lost
their butts? Why does this 'musclecars are hot!' cycle repeat itself every
10-15 years? You might still be able to buy that issue back order, it is
Sept 26th, 1988. And yes, AMX prices went up considerably, then fell back to
earth like everything else seemed to (even some muscle car magazines closed
down) in 91-92.

For every car we think that sells 'at a good price' however, there are 20
that don't. And if this story of the Knapps got hoodwinked by a sob story by
speculators is true, then this falls into the same category as the 72
Javelin AMX in BBG above being passed around for almost a decade now. And
for baseball fans, it is the equilvalent of a * next to many records falling
the past decade due to steroid use/abuse.

I hope I'm wrong about the sob story, may or may not be. Timing is
everything. This thread was started September 2nd, 2004. It's 4 months later
and I guess the 'new owners' have 'tired' of this wonderful car:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=179430

I personally would hate to see this car do nothing more than travel from
auction to auction, being passed around like a high dollar version of my ex
wife,  :-* or that 72 AMX in the thread above. If that is this car's fate,
that would really suck, and (my opinion) does not help the hobby any. I'm
sure there are many Camaros, GTOs and what not that this happens to. I can't
think of very many AMCs this happens to. It just takes away from all the
effort and hard work and shows and everything else the Knapps attempted to
accomplish, and did accomplish, with this vehicle while in their possession.
Yes, the awards, trophies, effort can't be taken away from the vehicle, or
Knapps, but it sure tarnishes the car's image now. Chances are we might see
this car in Auburn. Then Pomona. Then Pate. Then Scottsdale. Who knows.

As noted on my website, my biggest fear is that AMC will become a invisible
marque like Studebaker. Yes, it could happen easily, regardless of the Car
craft, Hemmings Muscle and other press the hobby gets, you only have X
amount of cars out there, and you also have a fickle public that what is
'in' one day, is 'out' the next. So the Knapp's car is press and of
interest. But buying this car and driving it trailered from Kenosha straight
down to Phoenix for a auction to me is not good press. Maybe I'm out of line
and wrong here. But when a 71 Challenger Hemi w/sunroof sells for a reported
$1.1 million dollars (someone correct me on this; will comment later) it
would seem some are filtering into AMC ranks being priced out of their usual
haunts. And so it goes....Eddie Stakes' Planet Houston aMX
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx