Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Hi everyone

Welcome to the group Ralph, we have really great people here from all
over the states, Canada and even a Gremlin owner from the UK. The
Majority of the members are Gremlin owners but there are members who
have Hornet's, Concord's, Spirits, SX4's and multiple AMC's and some
have other models besides the ones mentioned. Luckily for us a lot of
parts from all these cars are interchangeable. I have Spirit, Concord,
Gremlin, and later Hornet parts in my Hornet's.  Me I got 2 1974 Hornet
Hatchbacks, one I bought new. Luckily for me I kept it and it was barley
large enough for me the wife and 3 kids. The second one I just bought 16
months ago and have been given parts from people here, bought parts from
people here, been put onto parts for sale on eBay from people here, so
you have come to the right group for help with your car. As Rick said
brakes are the no# 1 safety concern. Me personally I would change the 3
rubber brake hoses just as a safety measure. Also any rubber fuel line
hoses. The one most overlooked is the one from the fuel sender to the
body. Weather you drop and flush the fuel tank or not I would recommend
an extra in line fuel filter be installed just before the fuel pump. I
learned this trick from an old gray beard as old time mechanic's are
called now a day's. I am one now with the beard and all. It keeps any
crap from getting in the pump. I use  metal Fram fuel filters from an 84
"K" car, I don't like those clear plastic ones. Take your time and if
you need any help with anything just ask.
"Doc"

Give the gift of life to a sick child.

--- Begin Message ---
Hello everyone,
I joined the group about a week back and have been watching the posts.

Background: I purchased my first '79 AMC Spirit with a 304 5-speed manual back in 1980 and had that until I tied the knot and had kids. Had to sell that and boy was that a bummer. Picked up an '83 Escort wagon and life was never the same. Well this year, the kids are out of high school and I finally was able to put together the coin for another '79 Spirit GT that someone placed a 401 into. I bought it on Evil Bay. I was told it had been stored in a barn for 8-9 years in Indiana. Has the Indiana title. They didn't connect the A/C or the power steering pump on the engine. The carb is an Autolite carb. Has a floor shift 3 speed auto. When I picked it up the engine was started for me by pouring some gas in the carb. So I know it runs. I made the first decision to change the oil when I go home, as it was started with oil that was blacker than the Ace of Spades. Not what I would have done. The fuel tank was completely full, so I don't know if it has rust in it but the gas is p robably a little old. First thing I have to do is pull the radiator and get it boiled out, as the guy said he pulled the thermastat out and it was not recognizable. He put in a fuel pump and starter in it just to get the engine running. He said he had them around and had put them in.

He had a collection of a Rouge, Rebel, Gremlin, and a Javelin that he got back from the body shop the day I was there. He had a 401 that was blueprinted and designed by Mike Pearson near the Twin Cities. He said that he had used Honda rods for it.

I plan on getting the mechanical stuff done to get the car drivable. First all the fluids and filters, plugs, wires, distrib. cap, the brakes checked, and the radiator. Oh, and some new tires. Does anyone have any suggestions for me before I get that done and forget to do something important that will cause me some headaches?

Regards,
Ralph
AMC Spirit GT 401
Save the AMC's!!!

P.S. Bart, for a new site like you mentioned, check out the Maverick Comet Forum at www.maverick.to. I have to go there as I'm helping my son restore his old Maverick. Sometimes they don't come in on my dialup connection, but they appear to have a format similar to what you were talking about.

Do you Yahoo!?
--- End Message ---