Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Alternator question

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Alternator question

You have asked the Alt. question at just the right time. If you have
been following my posts for the last month you will see they cover every
problem involved with installing a Delco in place of a Motorola in a 6
cyl car. It was not the bolt in as I was told. First of all I can't tell
you if a Delco out of a jeep will fit. I imagine it would. Next do you
have power steering? If you do it will make it more difficult to install
because of clearance problems on the bigger power steering box versus
the manual box. I went for the big bucks and bought a 100 amp Delco from
Kennedy American. You will no matter which Delco you use have an alt.
fan clearance problem. As far as I can tell all the Delco's have the
same size fan. I measured the one on my 77 Chevy and the one off of a 79
Concord and the one on the Delco I bought from Kennedy American. I had a
spare fan that 'The Mix' sent me drilled out to ft the Delco Alt., you
need to add a spacer between the fan and alt. housing for fan clearance
and then just install the Delco pulley. It will now bolt onto the C"
bracket but the stock belt is too long so you will need a Dayco belt no#
15360 which is 5/8" shorter. Now you come to the next problem. You can't
push the Alt close enough to the engine block to install the shorter
belt because the alt. fan now hits the middle of the "C" bracket. The
solution to this is to remove the "C" bracket and cut it for clearance.
You will have to weld on a stiffening support on the bracket to replace
the one you removed for clearance. It now bolts in and everything just
barely clears. You then have to wire the 2 prong plug into the alt and
the wiring harness of the car if you want the idiot light on the dash to
work. I have the wiring diagram for that in the car if you need it. I
didn't use it and just added a volt meter. This conversion is NOT a bolt
in and not for the ordinary back yard mechanic with no fabricating
skills and no welder. The difference between the Delco and the Motorola
are in my book 1# reliability, 2# Availability, 3# the Motorola is only
35 amps. I installed a 100 amp Delco. My son had a custom made Motorola
built for his Javelin that put out 65 amps. But it is still a Motorola
and in my opinion a piece of crap. I might have kept the Motorola if I
could have gotten a good one. After 4 bad Motorola's in 9 months and 3
in the last month it was time for the Delco for the pure sake of
reliability. I hope I haven't scared you off on what is really involved
in this conversion. If you don't go for the Delco and decide to get a
rebuilt Motorola I hope you have better luck than me getting a good
rebuilt one.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- I have to replace the alternator on my car and was wondering if newer
jeep alternators would work, and if not where can i find 1-wire
alternators for a I-6

Also what are the differnces between the motorola, and delco
alternators ?

                               Justin

--- End Message ---