Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 90 minutes left for eBay Eagles...

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 90 minutes left for eBay Eagles...

That blue 77 Hornet, for what it is worth, I had a beige 77 Hornet, 4door,
with 21,000 original miles, bought from original owner here locally, had a 5
inch stack of records with the car, super clean, engine didn't look like oil
had ever been chenaged or greasy mechanic hands on it, really nice, no
tears, rips, no rust, I bought it for $300. I had it for sale a few years
ago for over a year at $900. Finally took $500 for it from a fellow who
bought it to part out. I didn't want to see this fine low mile "survivor"
parted out, but got tired of running ads repeatedly in a variety of
publications too.

Sort of like my 71 Matador, it is rarer than most with 14,000 miles. It has
taken a staggering six years to sell it. Six years ya'll it has never taken
me that long to sell a AMC, and I took $2650 for it. And I'm sure many of
you who subscribe in many national mixed make rags like Hemmings ,Round Up,
Auto Traders and such have seen my ads in there for it thru the years. Not
counting three seperate runs thru ebay (where everyone assumes everything
sells at ridiculous prices or is shilled to death by family or friends) but
each run on ebay was $40.00.

So no pun intended, but Hornets are not flying off the shelves. Nevland's
nice 77 red AMX was a no sale recently on ebay, that had few bids, I didn't
keep up with the auction, but don't think it ever got above $1000. This nice
little blue Hornet will probably find a home under $2000. There was a real
nice 73 Hornet, same body style, Trans Am Red with white vinyl top I posted
on here for sale in Houston months ago, guy could not get $1500 for it, and
that thing was damned nice! I posted it on the amcforum.net also but no
interest, this was a car with minor detailing would have been instant
trophy. It had a 258, AT, aC, PS, PDB, tilt, tint, just loaded, and all
current tags and I believe it had about 62K miles. It sat on heavily
travelled Richmond Ave here for months, was in Auto Trader, I posted the
guy's info, still, NOTHING. It was eventually wholesaled to a nearby car
lot, I understand he took $600 for it on a trade in on a Mazda, then it was
wholesaled thru Houston Auto Auction where it brought $400 and it's current
location and whereabouts are unknown. Hope it did not end up a parts car
like my 77 did!

The little blue original owner 73 Hornet sedan pictured here I can buy right
now for $300 but am trying to convince the lady to dust it off, clean it up,
and repaint it, she would have about $1000 in it to do so, but she has a lot
of sentimental value in the vehicle also, and no price tag can be put on
that so it is what I commonly call "a limbo car".

John's cars look nice and it really don't surprise me however that there are
no bids on them, I didn not see how the auction ended, but John, you might
want to see if you can run them thru again on ebay. Please remember however
that ebay is not a automatic sell all. I learned that not once, but twice,
once with my 74 Hornet Sportabout DL/GX wagon, (ran thru twice, no sale at
$500; 74 Gremlin racecar, 304V8, AT, over $4500 in drivetrain alone, never
hit reserve of $1750) so with ebay it is a double edged sword! Good luck
with the Eagles, they look like really nice rides!
Eddie Stakes
www.planethoustonamx.com
*Note volume of email is
extremely heavy, expect