The Purpose Of AProportioning Valve

There is no proportioning valve in any drum brakes. This is simply a
basic brass block with a provision for the brake warning light switch
and the brake lines. Unless you are useing a brake conversion from a car
that had a proportioning valve you just leave the block in and don't use
a valve. The 78 & 79 Concord's my friend had did not have a
proportioning valve. The 78 was a power brake car and the 79 was a non
power brake car. I parted out the 79 and used it's disc brakes on my 74
Hornet with the power drum brake booster. I did however plumb in an
adjustable aftermarket proportioning valve in before swapping in the
discs. I had it set in the middle so the drum brakes worked fine till I
swapped to the disc's in which turned out to be 2 year's later. And then
I did not have to adjust it even after the disc's were installed. I made
a couple of panic stops and the rear brakes did not lock up so I left
the valve'a adjustment alone. All the proportioning valve does is to
keep the rear wheels from locking up on a panic stop due to the
different amount of pressure required to activate the disc's & drums.
Maybe one of the reasons my brake swap works so well is along with the
Concord's front disc's I also have the rear out of the same Concord
installed. So I actually have the complete brake setup out of the
Concord. The Concord rear had the bigger brake drums in the rear versus
the original ones.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---
I would bet the springs and piston are for the warning light. Since it has
drum brakes all around I believe I would go to a hardware store and get me a
brass T to replace it. I think you will be all right. Since I am no expert on
brakes through you might want to see what the others say before you do it though.
I would think though if it really is some sort of proportioning valve and you
did what I suggested you would know it in a minute.
Terry

--part1_105.4e3b2eab.2e52aa7e_boundary

<HTML>

<FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I would bet the springs and piston are for the warning light. Since it has drum brakes all around I believe I would go to a hardware store and get me a brass T to replace it. I think you will be all right. Since I am no expert on brakes through you might want to see what the others say before you do it though. I would think though if it really is some sort of proportioning valve and you did what I suggested you would know it in a minute. <BR>
Terry</FONT>

</HTML>

--part1_105.4e3b2eab.2e52aa7e_boundary--

--- End Message ---