Re: Changing Doors

I to just had to deal with this problem,after finding out that the
front lower section of the door frame was rotted ond then filled with
bondo. so i went up to my local scrap yard and found the perfict
donor door for $50 bucks. I also noticed that the door i got off of
the spirit was lighter then the '74 gremlin door. So good luck with
finding that perfect door
Justin

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "amc74hornet"
<AMC74HORNET@xxxx> wrote:
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <badass73gremlin@xxxx>
wrote:

> > From: "rozs86" <rozs86@xxxx>
> > Date: 2004/08/12 Thu PM 06:47:51 EDT
> > To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Changing Doors
> >
> > Roz please remember that no one will ever laugh at any question
you ask and you can use the spirit doors but the top of the door
frame is a little off thus you need to adjust it also all 70-78
gremlin doors are the save exept starting in 73 AMC started using
crash beams in the doors so if you were to find a 71 door and a 76
door you'll notice the weight difference also 70-77 hornet doors will
work 78-83 concord 2 doors will work.again please don't think your
asking dumb questions.
> > Bart
>
> Bart is right no one will laugh at you here.
> Bart is right on all counts. Due to the difference in the Spirit
roof line the window frame at the top rear of the door slopes and is
1 1/2 inches lower than a Gremlin door. Like Bart said it will fit
but there wll be that gap between the door and the roof. I have heard
of but never seen it done but was told to break the weld loose at the
end of the pillar at the door and raise it up the 1 1/2 inches and re-
weld it. I am not sure there is enough pillar to do that. Me
personally I would just cut the pillar and add a piece of pillar to
make up the 1 1/2 inches. Also the Spirit glass might not fit and
there might be a gap now. I only learned this about 5 years ago
myself when I parted out a Spirit so don't feel bad I been working on
these cars for over 40 years and don't know everything. If you have
rust in the coeners of the doors in the usual places and can't find
the right doors just cut it out and add new sheet metal.