parts- NOS/Repo

Eddie is right about not ever seeing 95% of the parts we need never
being made again. Although I have had very little trouble getting
mechanical parts myself. The only thing I had too wait to get more than
2 days was when I bought all the parts for both Hornet's front ends was
2 idler arms and they came directly from the Moog factory in Tennessee
and then it was only 4 days. The radiator I just bought for the orange
car took 3 days from Ohio. The rear springs and shackles and bushing
came in 4-5 days from ESPO in Penn. I was even able to get in 1 day from
my local parts store the fuel tank sender locking ring and rubber seal.
For odd parts I usually get them from Kennedy American. I just got the
fuel pickup filter and a repo glove box from them, last fall I got a
repo hatch gasket from them. A lot of trim parts are hard to find. I
lucked out and got a nice used Hornet Bee emblem for the orange car from
a member here. Another member put me onto a NOS Bee emblem on eBay that
cost me 42$ but it came with a pre 73 chrome Hornet fender emblem. I
used the NOS one on the yellow car. A week later another NOS emblem was
on eBay and the guy I out bid the week before lost out on it as it went
for 89$ plus shipping. I really didn't need much in the way of trim for
the yellow car as it was well taken care of and garaged it's whole life.
The orange one has used parts in it from Gremlin's, Hornet's from
Alabama, Texas, Ct., N.Y., Penn and from both ends of Canada. So NOS,
repo and good used parts are available. To tell you the truth ,I enjoy
the thrill of the hunt for the parts I need. Granted some parts are
expensive and won't fit in your budget, but if you really want them or
really need them you just have to suck it in and pay the price. 400$ was
to expensive for Davis to buy 2 NOS fenders for the driver Hornet he has
so he passed on them. They are just what I was looking for for my yellow
car and he hooked me up with the guy. Thanks Davis. I am sending him a
money order for the fenders tomorrow. 5-6 years ago I could not afford
them either. So its just your situation and how bad you want or need the
part. Happy parts hunting.

--- Begin Message ---
This is a point I have tried to hammer home since the 1980s. A grill is oneof the first things someone, including the owner, looks at when they see the vehicle. A staggering 95% of the parts for every AMC will never be made again. We get lucky and get somethings like intakes, heads, and of course easy shit like stripes, carpets, weatherstrips, but I have tried to hammer the point home many times that sheetmetal, stainless, chrome, glass, grills,lenses, soft and hard interior and exterior moldings, and even drivetrain and suspension parts will never be made again. Not to say with our inguinety (sic) we can't make something work, or fit, as we do, and will continue to do, this is why you see me reference a lot about Cuban Cars and how after40 yerars of embargos, they still have some great looking and running iron, even if it is a Soviet Lada engine under their hood, who cares, the vehicle is still around!
We could learn a lot from them, I guess. This is a thread recently off the amcforum.net website. Read the letter from NPD Parts, they are just being honest, but some folks don't understand why parts makers won't drop everythign for us AMCers. It is supply and demand!
http://cgi.amcforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Chat;action=display;num=1089912490
I hope whoever got that rare 77-78 grill understands the significance of it. $300 is nothing when you consider some of the AAR Cudas will pay $3000+ for a NOS item to make their car that much better! Not for everyone, myself included who is sometimes afflicted with Rambler Mentality, but being a vendor since 83, I have gotten purdee good at knowing what sells, what don't, what to buy and what to pass on....
Eddie Stakes
www.planethoustonamx.com

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C477E0.CA026230

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This is a point I have tried to hammer home since
the 1980s. A grill is one of the first things someone, including the owner,
looks at when they see the vehicle. A staggering 95% of the parts for every AMC
will never be made again. We get lucky and get somethings like intakes, heads,
and of course easy shit like stripes, carpets, weatherstrips, but I have tried
to hammer the point home many times that sheetmetal, stainless, chrome, glass,
grills, lenses, soft and hard interior and exterior moldings, and even
drivetrain and suspension parts will never be made again. Not to say with our
inguinety (sic) we can't make something work, or fit, as we do, and will
continue to do, this is why you see me reference a lot about Cuban Cars and how
after 40 yerars of embargos, they still have some great looking and running
iron, even if it is a Soviet Lada engine under their hood, who cares, the
vehicle is still around!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>We could learn a lot from them, I guess. This is a
thread recently off the amcforum.net website. Read the letter from NPD Parts,
they are just being honest, but some folks don't understand why parts makers
won't drop everythign for us AMCers. It is supply and demand!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://cgi.amcforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Chat;action=display;num89912490">http://cgi.amcforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Chat;action=display;num89912490</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I hope whoever got that rare 77-78 grill
understands the significance of it. $300 is nothing when you consider some of
the AAR Cudas will pay $3000+ for a NOS item to make their car that much better!
Not for everyone, myself included who is sometimes afflicted with Rambler
Mentality, but being a vendor since 83, I have gotten purdee good at knowing
what sells, what don't, what to buy and what to pass on....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Eddie Stakes<BR><A
href="http://www.planethoustonamx.com";>www.planethoustonamx.com</A><BR><FONT
face=arial,helvetica></DIV><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| --></FONT>

</BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C477E0.CA026230--

--- End Message ---