I attended a show on July 25th

I decided to attend my first show with my Grem. Admission was free
and it was in my home town, so why the heck not?

I almost didn't make it to the show because my shifter cable had
melted thru the night before (too close to the hedders) and wouldn't
shift the tranny. I had to jury-rig it and managed to get it "good
enough" to make it the 40 miles either way. I now have a replacement
cable and was tipped off to an orange rubber tubing that is lined
with asbestos. You can put your finger inside the tube and hold it
over a lighter without even feeling the heat. Tubing is only about
$2 a foot. I think I'm gonna sheath my cable in that stuff...

The first guy that walked up to me after got the car parked thanked
me for bringing a Gremlin "Cuz you just don't see them anymore". We
chatted for a few minutes and he went on to tell me about the friend
that used to have one (with a 304).

I had many such comments and was pleased to see even the younger
crowd (under 21yrs old) actually know what a Gremlin was and ask me
all kinds of questions. I'm sure its the first one they had seen in
real life (as opposed to McDonald's commercials)

Another guy came up and told me about the Gremlin he used to have
with a 401 in it. He no longer had the car, but thought he had the
engine laying around on the farm. I told him to gather up his parts
and sell them on Ebay cuz he could be sitting on a small gold mine.

Another guy and his buddy came up and he was really excited. "They
used these Gremlins to build Race cars with" he said to his pal. I
nodded and chatted with them about it and told him that people still
do that, just harder to find them now. He was pumped about the
subject. That was cool :)

I was the only AMC there (not surprisingly) out of about 140 cars.

The funniest thing I heard was some guy walk by with his buddy (these
guys were probably late 40s and should have known better).
He said "Oh, an AMC. That's probably a Javelin. They came out with
the Javelin first and then the AMX".

I couldn't believe my ears! I laughed out loud and he looked at me
kind of funny as he walked away... I didn't correct him.

Only had one guy say he wouldn't buy it even if it was for sale for
$500. I wasn't there at the time, my wife told me about it. Kinda
glad I wasn't there for that comment cuz I would probably have been
very unkind towards whatever crapheap he drove to the show (probably
a '68 Rustang Coupe.. one of MANY that were there.. bleech, get
original already.. get an AMC!)

Anyway, just thought I'd share a little bit of my experience. I've
got one other car show to go to this summer (more of a cruise night)
and then the Grem goes to the farm for the winter. Not before I do
some Tuning and Testing all over the city, heheh.

Sorry for the lack of brevity. I'll shorten up the next one.

PS: Oh yeah.. I posted some pics of the car (and me) at the show.
Check them out in my Fatpillowman folder.