Re: gremlin bumpers

The bumpers do look dumb, but were mandated by the federal government. Some
states will require they still be on the car before it will pass inspection,
as it is a safety item. I'll never forget a poor little Pacer wago at the
Houston Astrodome Autorama auction, I was going to bid on it but was
embarrassed by the auctioneers jumping up and down on the picnic table
bumpers of this 77 wagon, which was mint, yelling 'waynes world' sure would
have liked to see those assholes jump up and down on the bumpers of the GTO
behind it yelling the theme song from the Monkees. I pass on the car and
went back next day as opening bid was only $600. So I didn't bid on it this
time and there was no interest either in the 500+ bidders. I walked to the
office and asked them who owned it and the guy was sitting in the office as
he was one of the auctioneers friends. I asked him what did he want for it
and he said well, I started bidding at $600 and no bites, what will you
offer and I told him I'll give him $600 on the spot for it. The car was
super loaded, even had a twin grip, vinyl roof and towing package and a
beautiful color of Autum Red, about 61K miles on it. I drove it home and
Paige had a fit like we needed a 16th AMC:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_AMX/images/77pacerdlwagon_jpg.jpg
I sold it a year later for $2500, nice markup and nice rare car.

My 78 Pacer wagon i sold pictured here for $600 had both bumpers shaved, and
car looked instant custom, but be careful if you ever have a bumper-removed
AMC towed, as they bring a SLING. This car was used in a national television
commercial for a electronic tax return company in 98/99, also used on
Telemundo as it was done in English and Spanish, i got paid $40 to do the
commercial, would have done ti for free it was fun:
http://amcpacer.panhorst.net/images/archives/eddiestakes78-1.jpg

http://amcpacer.panhorst.net/images/archives/eddiestakes78-2.jpg
Yes, you can "fill" those horrible bumper holes with some really nice
light....

http://amcpacer.panhorst.net/images/archives/eddiestakes78-3.jpg
The back bumper holes were filled with twin faux chrome exhaust tips
later.....

http://amcpacer.panhorst.net/images/archives/eddiestakes78-4.jpg

http://amcpacer.panhorst.net/images/archives/eddiestakes78-5.jpg
Note the front spoiler is one of those stainless 68-70 AMX spoilers I sell
for $30, it is inverted, and this cooled this car down considerably. This
same car also is the one I put a bag of microwave popcorn on the dash,
rolled up the windows and let it sit for 3 days and 1/2 of the bag popped;
the outside temp was 103, inside the car was hitting 170 according to the
ECKO oven meat thermometer on the dash. (Which you can se on the dash in the
link above!) It was sort of like the Arkansas Lotto. It's $3 MILLION
DOLLARS. But if you win it, you get a dollar a year for three million years.
Doc, pick up your dentures!

Not mine but legendary Customizer Darryl Starbird's Spacer Pacer in Oklahoma
if you ever get up there to visit his museum:
http://amcpacer.panhorst.net/images/archives/spacerbubble.jpg

Some cars simply look better without the bumpers like the Rad Mad here:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_My/images/mycars3_jpg.jpg
Yes, that is a 70 Ram Air "power blister" (AMC's actual name for it) on the
hood. Functional too.

So removing the bumpers have good, and bad points. Bad is if you ever have
to be pushed by another car, expect your rear sheetmetal to be in the back
seat, crushed lenses and so forth. Or if you ever have it towed, tow drivers
don't give a rat's ass, so again, make sure when you call for wrecker it has
a sling they can put under tires. Good points is if you remove it, the car
looks instant customized and lose over 100 pounds. Good luck either way
bottom line is build it how YOU want to build it and have fun with it.
Lastly my 74 Gremlin I was customizing I removed the front bumper for the
fliar kit. Wished I had it still on there as I was moving the car and the
car bumped the 120 foot oak tree in my yard which sits next to the driveway,
and bent in the front valance. Removing a front valance on a 70-up Gremlin
or Hornet you better be damned well knowing what you are doing as they are
welded. You can see how it pushed it in in this photo:
http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/bd/6c/8f_1.JPG

And ironically enough I gave the bumper away just a few months ago to the
fellow who had bought my 74 Gremlin X and 76 Gremlin for $450 each.........I
may add that this car might be sold for $2000 and I get to keep my Cragars.
Eddie Stakes
www.planethoustonamx.com