broken door handle

 I always keep a few cans of brake clean around. I sprayed the crap
out of the door latches and then after it dried used the graphite spray
lube on them. I find the white grease dries up and is only a dust
collector, just my personal opinion as I have used all of them at one
time or another on the door latches. As far as the window regulator
mechanism's I use straight moly chassis grease liberally on the gears
and the roller tracks. I use the graphite on the hand crank window
bushing. I also use silicone spray lube in the felt window tracks which
also makes the windows roll up easier if they are power or manual. As
you might know by now I am a real pain on things working properly and
with bad joints in my shoulders smooth working manual windows are a
must. On the door handles there is a R and a L cast in the handle to
tell you which is which.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- Hi,
Rick, That would be appreciated. Just remember it's the passenger
side. I think there is a diffrence. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Doc, I just fixed the drivers side door about three days ago. The
latch got a little rusty and bent the rod. I'm lucky it didn't break
the handle as well. Unfortunately, I used white grease to lube it up.
I'll just hold off till the fall to pull the door panel off and
replace it with graphite.

Jeff
*Driving AMCs since 1971*

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "amc74hornet"
<AMC74HORNET@xxxx> wrote:
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> > Jeff
> >
> > I may have an extra door handle in the garage. I'll take a look
and let you
> > know.
> >
> > Rick
>
> One thing to note on these door handles when they break. There is
usually some thing that causes them to break like a linkage problem
or a latch problem. I have repalced a few broken ones in friends cars
and found it to have been caused by one of the above problems. It was
never just the handle broke. I probably would have had the door
handle break on the pass side of the orange car. The door was very
hard opening. The hinges were good and I adjusted the striker with no
success. After takeing off the door panel I found the rod from the
handle to the latch binding on one of the handle mounting bolts
heads. I attemped to bend the rod slightly for clearance but it was
better but was not perfect. I removed the bolt and shaved 1/32" off
the head with my battery powered Dremil and that along with bending
the rod cured the clearance problem. And there was still enough metal
on the head for the torques socket to tighten it up properly and hold
the handle tight. I know sooner or later that my wife would have
pulled on the handle hard enough to break it. I gave a good handle to
a friend with a Gremlin and he installed it and pulled on it once and
broke it. He had a bad latch mechanism. I always lube all the locks
and door mechanisms with a spray grafite lock lube. When the liquid
evaperated it leaves the grafite to keep everything working easily.
White grease and other greases collect dirt. I even use the grafite
on the tracks and rollers on my garage door.
> "Doc"

--- End Message ---