Re: Good AMC weekend

Great find! My local AMC dealer was doing a lot of dealer installs
ofThrush sidepipes on new v8 Gremlins back in '72 when I bought my
new Gremlin. I really wanted a set on my car, but my father over
ruled that.

I would love to locate a set to put on my '68 AMX. Maybe one day
I'll be as luckly as you and locate a set.

Congratulations!

Donnie

www.GremlinX.com

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "amc74hornet"
<AMC74HORNET@xxxx> wrote:
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> > Worked on the fuel tank for a while Saturday. That evening, the
wife and I
> > went to a monthly cruise nite with one of the grandkids in tow.
While we were
> > there, I walked over to a truck in an adjacent parking lot where
a buddy of mine
> > was rummaging through some parts.
> >
> > As I walked up he asked me if I was still looking for a set of
old Thrush
> > finned aluminum side exhaust. He held one up and I went for my
wallet. The guts
> > were gone but all the aluminum pieces were there and in pretty
good shape. I
> > couldn't tell if they would be long enough for the rockers on
the Gremlin but I
> > was willing to pay his price, regardless. Everyone can image my
shock when he
> > said $20.
> >
> > Today I pulled all the pieces apart and sprayed them down with
Super Clean.
> > The finned housings were scrubbed with a good stiff brush and
the end pieces
> > got a Scotch-Brite pad and a little steel wool. I put them back
together and
> > hung one on the Gremlin. Not only are they long enough, I'll
need to shorten them
> > a couple of inches. Considering how old they are, they look
fantastic. I'll
> > see about posting a photo soon.
> >
> > Rick
>

> Good deal on the Thrush side pipes. I had a set on my 64 American.
Aluminum is very forgiveing on cleanup and polishing back to new
condition.