Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: If it ain't one thing............

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: If it ain't one thing............

Lu,
 Don't feel bad. A long time ago we decided to assemble the race car engine ourselves for the first time to same some$$. We picked up everything from the machine shop and  got the engine running. The  oil pressure was horrible!!!! we pulled the engine and took it apart. After carefull inspection we found that the bearings were .010 under and the crank was turned .030 under! The box the bearings came in was marked .030 but .010 was what was inside. That's why I reccommended that you use plasti- Gauge.
 Davis

amc74hornet <AMC74HORNET@xxxx> wrote:
--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "lumina333" <lumina3@xxxx> wrote:
> Well, time for a (S-L-O-W) progress update on the 360 assembly:
> Started to finish assembling the short block last evening, now that
> the rain humidity has cooked off for a few days. As all the piston
> rings were positioned, and rod bearings were being installed, a funny
> feeling crept over me. Was I seeing things? Rubbing my eyes and
> blinking didn't help - yes it was true - the bearing box only had
> enough in there for 6 rods. Wait, had I misplaced something? Nope,
> the box and bearings were sealed in plastic when I opened it. There
> was no other box of bearings floating around. Okay...so I check the
> part number on the box and discover that the bastard at the machine
> shop has sold me a set of bearings for a 6 cylinder engine! After
> jumping up & down and cursing the poor man, I look at the tech.
> manual and discover that the bearings for the 6 & 8 rods are the same
> size - whew, at least I don't have to take out the ones that I have
> already installed in the block! I finish installing the 6th piston in
> the block and once again, put it to bed.
> After discussing my dissapointment with his lack of ability to count
> to 8, the man at the shop told me that he would have the extra
> bearings waiting for me today. This should be fun.
> My thanks again to John - you are a generous man with your time,
> attention, and patience! -Lu-

Everyone makes mistakes but it seems to be running rampent in the world today. You have to check everything twice to make sure you get the right parts. That's why I go to mainly one auto parts store and deal with only 2 people there, one is a biker and the other is a sports car guy. I think they find it a challenge to find AMC parts for me. I was just there yesterday haveing the rest of the front end and front brakes parts located so next month I can just order everything at once and drop the car off at my friends shop and say DO IT!!!
"Doc"