Re: Fuel Tank

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> When I got the car, it had a place to mount a small gas tank between the
> frame rails in the rear. In fact, the previous had actually modified a small fuel
> tank (I believe he said it came out of a Cartoon) and even attached to the
> original filler neck. Unfortunately, it was shallow and only held about 8
> gallons. Mine will fit in the same space but has a much larger capacity. When
> finished, it will be under the floor.
>
> An easy solution would have been to use a fuel cell. Most cars that have been
> modified with a narrowed rear end have a fuel cell in the trunk. I could have
> gone the same route but I did not want to have to open the rear hatch to fill
> it up. It may have looked cool to see a fuel cell mounted in the back but the
> last thing I wanted was the threat of fumes while I'm driving.
>
> I tried to straighten the glove box surround yesterday. I didn't have any
> luck. I guess I'm a little cautious about applying too much heat. How can I tell
> when it's warm enough without it starting to warp or melt? What is the secret?
>
> Rick

I am not big on them fuel cells inside of the car either. Fumes from spillage when you fill the tank would be a problem also. Are you going to use the original filler? I always disliked the 16 gallon tank in my original 74 Hornet. So when it needed to be replaced I just installed a new one out of a 78 Concord which was a 20 gallon tank. I just used the Concord gas tank straps and made new longer "J" bolts. The problem was that the new tank was deeper and my trailer hitch would not fit on it any more. I also got the last NOS fuel tank sender the Kennedy American had. As far as the glove box surrounnd goes as far as adding heat all I can tell you is to make it hot. That is a fairly strong piece of plastic. You just cant let one spot get all the heat. Just a thought if you clamp it to elminate the warpage try just letting it sit in the sun for a few hours. That might do the trick. If you mess the one up you have i'll give you the one that is comeing out of the new Hornet, it only has a slight warp. The reason I didn't repair it was that I already had an extra one and did that one up to use along with the new gauge panel I had. Be advised that no matter what you do you will not get it perfect. Been there and tried that. Close is about as good as it will get. Also the condition of the crash pad will affect the straghtness of the surround when it is screwed into it.
"Doc"