Re: Fuel Tank

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> Went to a sheet metal shop today with a pattern for my fuel tank. They are
> cutting the pieces from 18ga steel. Looks like I'll be putting it together
> myself. I'll get the pieces next Tuesday and will start fitting it together soon
> thereafter. Initially, it will get self-tapping screws to hold it together. The
> screws can be easily removed and the holes welded up. Besides, once it's
> finished, my plan is to have it coated inside and out to make sure it will never
> rust or leak. While I'm at it, I think I'll install two pick up tubes instead of
> one. One on the bottom and the other about five or six inches higher. When
> its complete, it will have a "reserve" in the tank. This way I won't be pressed
> to get the fuel gauge or sending unit in working order. The tank will be 20
> inches across, about 16 inches deep and 18 inches from front to back.
>
> The interior sail panels are now bare metal. I'll treat them with OSPHO
> tomorrow. One side will get some metal welded in, just above the wheel tub. The
> previous owner went a little crazy with a torch and I'll need to make the repair
> to balance it out with the other side. It shouldn't take much body filler to
> smooth everything. The recessed areas will eventually have walnut veneer to
> match the dash. I've already cut a piece of hard cardboard to fit the area on the
> passenger side sail panel.
>
> Something else on my list of things to do...........straighten the glove box
> surround. It has a slight warp on the upper edge. I'll heat it up with a blow
> dryer then clamp it between a board and a piece of rectangular tubing.
> Hopefully, I won't make it worse.........I only have one.
>
> Hope all in well for everyone...........
>
> Rick

Have you figured out how many gallons the tank will hold? Good idea about the reserve. I need to see why my gas gauge works some times and then not a all. I have a NOS sender in the garage if I need one. The sender locking ring and rubber seal are still available at the local auto parts store.
"Doc"