Re: more Ebay & Sniping

I can see the sniping software market expanding - it reminds me of
MAD magazine's Spy vs. Spy comic strip - Snipe software for the
buyer, Snipe block software for the Seller, Shiller's software, Anti-
shiller software, Seller's snipe the sniper by sniping your own
auction software, etc....the program possibilities are endless!
Back to a question I posted previously: how does eSnipe software
program work with multiple subscribers competing for the same auction
item? Does eSnipe place one bid from the highest amount entered by a
single buyer in the final seconds of the auction? That would seem to
drive the item price up on the other bidders. Maybe this is a good
aspect for the seller. Is there a way that a seller can set up eSnipe
on his/her own auction? Or have others (shillers) set up eSnipe for
them? This software seems flawed as it appears to have many work-
arounds at this point.
eSnipe also offers simultaneous bidding on multiple items that are
the same, winning you one item at the price you want, then
automatically cancelling your bids on the other items. You can set up
auction groups to do this....seems fraudulent to me.
Ahh, how nice to live in a free country to have such things to ponder.
-Lu-
--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes"
<eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
> <<<Original Post edited by me>>>
> As for sniping, sniping is part of the auction experience, even at
many, many of the 'live' auctions I have went to thru the years, from
Autorama at the Astrodome, to Houston Livestock Rodeo, to police and
storage auctions. You have someone that might sit there the whole
auction and never make a peep until the last minute, or until they
see a opportunity that bidding has stalled. Get used to it, some you
will win, others might lose by 25 cents.
> My observation with ebay is that people for some reason want to
wait until the last day to bid. This is not new, it is something I
too have done, to see if any bids and thinking I may fetch a bargain.
Other times I slap my MAXIMUM BID on something early on, even it has
7 days left. Then sit and watch. Knowing what many things sell for
helps me, but I am always surprised to see something blow past me
like I was standing still.
> As for those E-snipe services, I have never used them. If I win a
item then it was menat to be, if not, then no big deal, will move on.
Sometimes I see a bidders name as high bidder, and will back off or
not bid, knowing they are a customer, friend, or probably really need
that item. On the other hand however, if it is something I really
need or want for one of my own vehicles or collection, then I'm like
Donald Trump, and will step on toes with steel boots to get it. But a
majority of the time, I simply back off the auction.
> I personally would like to see eSnipe and other sniping software
banned or blocked. But why would ebay kill another cash cow? Same
with 'shill bidding' for instance. They indicate it is illegal on
ebay, but it still goes on, some farmer joe lists his classic car,
and gets on ATT's Friends & Family program and contacts relatives,
buddies and so forth, and askes them to bid on it, which they do, and
at a artifical inflated price. There is way more to ebay than what
is covered above too, feel free to chime in, might help someone else
later.