Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Volunteers (was: The Albany N.Y. Free Swap Mee

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Volunteers (was: The Albany N.Y. Free Swap Meet & Show Is Rumored To Be No More)

Actually for the last 2-3 years? my friends cousin Herb Lopez and Tom (
I can't recall his last name) have run the Albany show. I don't know who
ran it previous to them. Time and energy is a problem when you need
people to help with such an undertakeing. I used to belong to a car club
in the late 70's to mid 80's and it was always the same few people that
did all the work. Fortunately for the club but unfortunately for me I
was one of the ones who worked. I finally had enough after 5 years and
just quit completely. Herb and Tom where helping my friend with the 1
previous spring Ardsley show and the 3 past fall shows. Last falls show
was rained out and there was not a rain date. I initated the rain date
for the May show. Tom & Herb have shown no interest lately in either
show. Being a forman and supervisor at jobs before I became disabled I
offered my help to my friend and convinced him to have the spring show
even though I am not physically able to help, I am able to give my
expertize in helping with organizeing things. The fall show is also on a
date of a big show for all brands of cars locally and I am trying to
convince my friend to change the date so it does not conflict with that
date and also have a rain date so we can get the few AMC cars that
attend the big show to also come to our's at a different date, either
before or after the big show. So I know what you are saying Eddie about
help.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- Doc, from what I understand, and someone correct me if wrong, Tim Tracy and
Tony Grimaldi were the guys behind this meet for many years in Albany, NY.
They would emphasize that it was a free meet, free vending, free showing,
everything so they were underwriting the costs of putting it on. I used to
do the same thing here in Houston with the AMC SW regional I founded, and it
got, uh, expensive to do year after year, could be anywhere between
$500-$1000, of which I would only hope to break even or make some profit
vending during the meet! But it was worth it when you would see all those
wonderful cars show up and people having a good time. However, it got to be
more of a pain in the ass, and hated to beg for sponsors and vendors to
donate money for prizes, goodie bag items and trophies. And speaking for
myself, burnout was a huge factor as while you usually had a dedicated core
group of people willing to chip in and assist and help out, most just would
show up and not. So hats off to those who would bag up trash, judge cars,
sell sodas and water to benefit the club till, help park vehicles, vend,
collect dues and monies for club, cook hot dogs, you folks are the real
forces behind these meets and whether they will be a success....or failure.

It is something many of you have seen me write about for many years. Being a
volunteer!
It does not take much of your time to get involved and help out, even with
small mundane chores to make the meet go off smoothly. For those of you in
NAMDRA, you can see poor Jock Jocewicz plead year after year for people to
not only show up, but please help out! Donate something for goodie bags or
door prizes. Help park vehicles and trailers, help judge (never enough
people to judge!) help pick up trash, just walk up to whoever is in charge
and simply say "Hi my name is Bart (or whatever your name is!) is there
anything I can volunteer to do to help out today?" and you will be surprised
it takes a fe minutes of your time, but the met will not only go smoother,
you will enjoy yourself knowing you helped out making it a wild success and
hopefully the meet will continue to grow instead of reading about it like
Albany! Good luck and have fun, please volunteer.
Eddie Stakes
www.planethoustonamx.com