Re: AMC Toys (was: Rare AMX toy!)

Hi Doc, not solar powered Matadors, those are actual gasoline powered
Matadors by COX toy company. They sell in the same price range as these
AMXs. I have a NOS and used version of the Matador stock car, which is a
four door Matty body 74-78. The one I don't have and usually is harder to
find is the Adam 12 version of same. Really neat things to have and run on
pump gas, they are over a foot long too. These are probably out of a number
of people's price ranges. However, if you are a rabid AMC toy collector and
remember some of these from 30-40 years ago, they are really worth having in
your collection! For what a toy costs, someone could buy a real 'toy' my 74
Hornet Sportabout wagon on ebay for instance, no bids, $300, complete car
that runs. Again though, that is apples and oranges. While neither the toy,
or the car, will ever be made again, the toys are 100-1 much rarer than the
real cars.

I recently scored a monster coup on a Javelin trans Am game. These are also
in my top ten of ultra rare toys with aMCs from the 1960s. And it was
complete. I was alerted to the auction by a fellow AMC fan who knows I
collect stuff like this. I still have my ORIGINAl Trans Am Javelin race game
my dad brought hom two sets in 1969, and yes, I drew on the track little
stop signs, arrows, railroad tracks and whatnot, and also glued finkys and
rat finks on the board as spectators, had to have someone watch the races!
Here is the one on ebay I won, I told the fellow who alerted me thanks and
then bid on it, and also noted these sell for about $300 when they pop up in
this condition, and you only see maybe one pop up every 2-5 years!!!
But my high bid withstood a blistering assualt, and well, I won it and am
estatic to have another set like this in my collection!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3667473977&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

Again, you never look at stuff like this in terms or price. Always look at
it in terms of years and condition. These were made 30+ years ago and well,
kids had them and tore them up like kids do. I'm surprised some of my stuff
is still here like original Hot wheels. we used to put bottle rockets in
them and make a really long track, sometimes 30 yards long, and light the
fuse and send them down the track, always thought that bottle rocket was
good for a nitrous like boost 1/2 way down the track. Some of these cars
windshields and tires would blow off, we would put more tires on them and go
again. Sometimes at the end of the track we would have a pail of water for
the cars to land in, sort of a poor boy's Evel Knievel, just to make sure
that bottl rocket WAs really out! But no, there is a lot of toys and
antiques I pass on ebay and don't bid due to out of my own price range.
Problem is, I know if I don't bid or win it now, next time one pops up it
will be 2X-5X more due to age!
And so it goes. Happy collecting, whatever your budget, as I tell people,
today's Johnny Lightnings and ERTL models are tomorrows collectibles!

To see where many of the Johnny Lightning AMXs, Hornets, Rebels and other
miniatures are near you, go to www.playingmantis.com and click on 'where to
buy' for a selection of stores.
Eddi estakes
www.planethoustonamx.com