Re: Dash Frame Major Repair Work Today

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bandit" <formula421@xxxx> wrote:
> Doc,
> Im still stripping out my '73. Whats the easieat way to remove the dash and the dashpad?
> Thanks,
> Josh

Take the dash and the crash pad out as one piece there are 6 hex head screws that hold the crash pad to the dash, 2 are accessable on each side with the inst. panel removed and the glove box surround removed. the other 2 on the very end on each side are hard to remove. To remove the whole dash as a unit remove the glove box surround and glove box door. The glove box surround is held in by 5 screws and you will have to remove the wire that holds the glove box door horizontal when it is open. Under the glove box door there are 3 plastic snap in plugs in the dash frame itself. Pop then out and through them holes are the 3 nuts that hold the glove box door on. Now remove the screws that hold the center section that the radio is in and unbolt the 4 screws that holds the heater/defroster panel in. Next after the package tray is removed reach under the dash and disconnect the speedo cable. Now remove the 5 screws the hold the instrument panel in. Pull the panel out and unplug the wires from the wiper switch and headlight switch and the plug for the main gauges. The panel should now be free and can be removed. Next remove the screws that are on top of the dash close to the windsheild. Remove the bolt that holds the hand brake bracket from the dash and the vent cable bracket and knob. You may as well remove the 2 kick panels too. There is a Plastic cover on the bottom of the steering column that has to be removed and under it is 2 bolts that holds the steering column to the dash that has to be removed. Last there is a bolt on each side of tha dash that bolts it to the door pillar on each side, remove them. A word to the wise try to save the clips that the bolt goes in on the door pillar There are also a bracket on the left side of the glove box that bolts to the firewall. I don't think I missed anything but I could have and if I did it is a minor thing you can spot easily. Hope this helps and didn't confuse you cause I think I just confused myself. I have all these dash parts in my liveing room so I have been checking them as I wrote this. One note if you have the title for this car keep it and the vin no# tag off the dash in case you need to retag a savable car that has no title. I know it is not legal but them fools at the DMV make it hard to get a new title.
"Doc"