Re: of oil filters and airplanes...

Hi, Ed, another Wannabe pilot here. < AMC content - I
stored a '81 Spirit hatchback at my former UL club's
airfield for awhile back around '96 > I have
subscribed to Ultralight Flying! magazine for years, I
think since '84, but never had the spare cash to get
into flying even at this "low" level of cost. Missed
an opportunity to get a Quiksilver wire-and-tube plane
for under $2,000 used once, again due to lack of
money. Living around Washington, DC area, if you don't
make over 60k, you aren't gonna have extra money. And
I don't. I can buy AMC cars all day long at $100, and
it won't break me, but to get a decent UL airplane,
it's hard to make payments...especially when the
former owner wants just one BIG one. So, I've stayed a
wannabe for years, just looking and yearning. Even if
I sold ALL my Gremlins and other cars, I doubt I'd get
$5,000 , although that would buy a cheap plane, if one
was available...but then I'd have no cars to play
with. So, I've stuck with cars as my hobby, hoping to
one day get that raise or new job so I could afford an
Ultralight too. I had looked at the Javelin at
Oshkosh, it was a nice UL, but I think that may be out
of production now, the Hornet was nice, too, but it
wasn't a UL. :) Don't know of any other AMC-named UL's
or kitplanes of late.
Your Kitfox is a nice aircraft, you running an
oil-cooled Rotax in it, like a 912? Or something
smaller? THey're outside of my price range,
unfortunately, and most aren't in the UL weight range.
I've been to Sun-n-Fun once, back in '97, and I hit
Oshkosh in 2002 when I went to the 100th Rambler
Anniversary meet in Kenosha, THAT was heaven, a visit
to AMC mecca AND a visit to see all the aircraft, too!
That was DEFINITELY one of my best vacations ever! I
took tons of pics at BOTH places. :)
One day, when I don't weigh MORE than a UL, I will
hope to get my wings and fly. Now, just trying to work
and rebuild a new life with a new company after my two
Router/Switch companies folded in '97 and '01, I
started 2 years ago at a Homeland Security type of
company, well-suited for this day and age, and I may
even make extra money if it does well enough, enough
to finally realize that flying dream I've had. Gotten
a few bonuses, but nothing highly substantial I could
call "extra cash" to buy a plane. Being a "new"
homeowner of a 50+ year old house, it requires
maintenance as well.
So, let me know if you do any fly-ins down this way
in Virginia, I know there's several a year,
Petersburg, VA has one, I"m sure there are others I've
forgotten about or not aware of anymore. I'd love to
do Sun-N-Fun again, I camped out in the UL area in '97
with a tent and bag, THAT wasn't fun, really, but it
was cheap. :) And with my company goin' under then, I
needed cheap! Anyway, thanks for mentioning your
flying interests, glad to know I'm not the only AMCer
with some "high-flying" interests. AMC ya,
Jerry Casper

From: Ed Veneck <edveneck@xxxx>

That's cool, a lot of folks don't realize that it is
possible to get into fling so cheaply. My total
investment in my Kitfox is just a hair over $20,000.
That a lot lest than most people pay for a new car. I
also spread this cost out over the 6 years that it
took to built it. It?s a two place high wing with a
top speed of 110 kts. and burns 3.5 gals/hr. Pretty
cheap to run! Also, the wings fold back, and I have a
trailer for it, so I can keep it at home, and not have
to pay hanger fees, which run about $150 to $200 a
month in this area.