Re: AMC books

Hi Jerry, the one that is the most desirable is the 1976 edition. Harder to
find however are earlier editions, but everyone should have the 76 edition.
I talked to John Conde just a few months ago. One of my questions was what
are the chances he updates the book to include 77-88 models. He said no
chances as he is tired, old, and sold all his stuff sadly. Who knows maybe
he will reissue the 76 one again.

I have never seen a 'employee only' copy of this book, although that would
not surprise me if one was ofered to employees only in the last printing. A
sticker (to me at least) don't mean much, I could go have a sticker made at
Orifice Depot and stick it on several of mine that are autographed by Conde
and say 'only 1 ever made!' or something cheesy like that and watch the AMC
WWF break out on ebay or at national meets.

Two more books (there are many more this is my own annoying opinion) that
you SHOULD HAVE in your personal library is Amazing AMC Muscle by Edrie
Marquez, ISBN# 0-87938-300-3; this is a really nice book by MotorsSports
International, Osceola, WI, 54020, 215 pages of informative stuff. Yes,
there are typos, but Edrie told me that they rushed it to press in 1988. So
you have stuff like only 356 77 AMXs made, when the figure was slightly
higher than that, I believe it was around 3300, I would have to find my
sheets. Another book you need is Standard Catalog of American Motors by John
Gunnell, published in 1993, over 300 pages and this goes into detail like
production figures and options pricing and so forth. It is more than just
the usual AMX/Jav/Mach/SC/Rambe stuff, that was only a tiny portion of AMC
sales, This is a REALLY nice ptotographic history of AMC from it's founding
in 1954. But it abruptly stops at 1986 model. So you don't get to read about
my 88 'Mopar' Eagle wagon of only 2308 made, shoved out the door by
Chrysler. Maybe later they will update this. The info on this book is:
ISBN 0-87341-232-X and was $19.95 when new, and copies usually sell in the
$50 range on ebay or at meets, don't get Rambler Mentality on this one, buy
it, you won't regret it, is is truly one of the best AMC 'bibles' out there.
It was published by a buddy, John Gunnell, who was at Krause Publications
for many years, www.krause.com

Hope someone saves this post, as chances are someday someone else will ask
some of these questions or see one of these books on ebay or a meet!
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
www.planethoustonamx.com